This conference has ended. This page will be updated when information on next year's conference becomes available.
MD Anderson Cancer Center and MD Anderson
Physicians Network Symposium
Novel and Exciting Advances in Cancer Therapeutics and Future Prospects
Nursing Excellence: The Art and Science of Oncology Nursing
October 21-22, 2017
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Robert C. Hickey Auditorium
Floor 11, R. Lee Clark Clinic
1515 Holcombe Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
Novel and Exciting Advances in Cancer Therapeutics and Future Prospects–October 21-22, 2017
Nursing Excellence: The Art and Science of Oncology Nursing– October 21-22, 2017
Conf: # D115909
15.50 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
Ethics Credits: 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
MOC Points: 15.50
This symposium will be beneficial to medical oncologists; radiation oncologists; surgical oncologists; general surgeons; internists; physician assistants; oncology nurses; and advanced practice nurses involved in the care of patients with breast; gastrointestinal; genitourinary; head and neck; hematologic; lung; and melanomacancers.
- Conference Brochure
- Conference Agenda
- Committee and Speakers
- Nursing Excellence Information
Symposium 2017 Conference Chair Hagop Kantarjian, MD (Video Link)
Hagop Kantarjian, MD, Professor in Leukemia at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and MD Anderson Physicians Network Symposium Chair, discusses this year's event, Novel and Exciting Advances in Cancer Therapeutics and Future Prospects.
Agendas are subject to change because we are always striving to improve the quality of your educational experience. MD Anderson may substitute faculty with comparable expertise on rare occasions necessitated by illness and/or scheduling conflicts, conflicts and so forth.
Please let us know what specific topics, issues or questions you wish to see addressed or emphasized in this activity. Fax CME/Conference Management at 713-794-1724 or email: email@example.com. All responses will be forwarded to the Program Chair for consideration.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and Physicians Network Symposium: Novel and Exciting Advances in Cancer Therapeutics and Future Prospects is planned for physicians and health care professionals; to improve knowledge, competence, performance, patient management, and outcomes. The symposium participants will obtain current information from disease site specific oncologists.
The interactive sessions during the symposium will allow participants to obtain educational feedback to better improve patient outcomes in the community setting. Keynote and didactic sessions will allow participants to expand their knowledge, increase their competence and improve management performance.
After attending the symposium, participants should be able to:
- Apply the evolving science to clinical care by utilizing the molecular tools and biomarkers to identify molecular subtypes of the major cancers (Knowledge,Competence, Performance);
- Molecularly characterize cancer cells by identifying signaling pathways that influence cell growth and survival and the mechanisms of cell death that relate to newly developed oncology therapeutics (Knowledge, Competence);
- Analyze available local, regional, and systemic therapeutic agents to choose the most effective combination of treatments for each specific tumor to improve patient outcomes (Knowledge, Competence, Performance, Patient Outcomes);
- Evaluate immunological treatment plans based on the fundamentals of cancer immunology and how it relates to the survival of the cancer cell (Knowledge, Competence).
- Case Presentations Including Interactive Audience Participation
- Questions and Answer Sessions
- Panel Discussions
A course evaluation form will provide participants with the opportunity to comment on the value of the program content to their practice decisions, performance improvement activities or possible impact on patient health status. Participants will also have the opportunity to comment on any perceived commercial bias in the presentations as well as to identify future educational topics.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education(ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 15.50 AMA PRA Category 1CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The presentation, A Vaccine to Prevent Cancer is Here: Now Let’s Use It!, has been designated by The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center for a total of .50 AMA PRA Category 1CreditsTM in medical ethics and/or professional responsibility.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 15.50 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activityprovider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
In order to receive MOC points, you must pass the post-test with a score of 70% or higher.
CME Certificates and Attendance Verification Certificates
Certificates awarding AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM or certificates documenting attendance will be distributed to participants when an individual departs the conference. To obtain a CME certificate,physicians must submit a completed evaluation questionnaire and a CME Verification Form.
Upon request, a record of attendance (certificate) will be provided on-site to other health care professionals for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
Physicians Payments – Sunshine Act
MD Anderson complies with the Physicians Payments Sunshine Act as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Accordingly, we maybe required to collect information on transfer of value provided to any covered recipient under the ACA.
Pre-registration is now closed, on-site registration for The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and MD Anderson Physicians Network Symposium opens at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 21,2017. The opening session of the symposium will begin at 6:55 a.m. on Saturday, October 21, 2017, and the symposium will adjourn at 1:20 p.m. on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
Pre-registration is now closed, On-site registration for Nursing Excellence: The Art and Science of Oncology Nursing opens at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 21, 2017. The opening session of the conference will begin at 7:15 a.m., and the conference will adjourn at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
Advance registration is encouraged as space and materials are limited. Please see registrationform for applicable fees.
The deadline for advance registration is September 29, 2017.
Symposium, October 21–22, 2017
Physicians (MDs, PhDs, DOs)
- Postmarked before 9/29/17......................$600.00
- Postmarked after 9/29/17.........................$625.00
MD Anderson Alumni/Physicians Network
- Postmarked before 9/29/17......................$450.00
- Postmarked after 9/29/17.........................$475.00
Fellows, Physician Assistants, Nurses, Residents
- Postmarked before 9/29/17......................$375.00
- Postmarked after 9/29/17.........................$400.00
Nursing Excellence:The Art and Science of Oncology Nursing–October 21-22, 2017
- Postmarked before 9/29/17........................$425.00
- Postmarked after 9/29/17...........................$450.00
MD Anderson Partner and Physicians Network Nurses
- Postmarked before 9/29/17......................$325.00
- Postmarked after 9/29/17.........................$350.00
MD Anderson Tour–Friday, October 20, 2017 - if you plan to take tour, please check off on registration form or select on-line.
We accept the following forms of payment:
- Check (payable to The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, through U.S. banks only)
- Money order, Credit cards (MasterCard, VISA and American Express)
- Cash (on-site registration only)
- If you register online, a receipt/confirmation letter will be automatically emailed to the email address you list on the registration form. If you register by fax or mail, a receipt/confirmation letter will be sent to you within 10 working days of the receipt of your fee.
The registration fee, minus a $50 administrative handling fee, is refundable if a written request is received on or before September 29, 2017. No refunds will be granted after that date. The request for a registration refund must include the tax identification number of the company or institution if registration was paid by a company or institution check.
The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to cancel activities prior to the scheduled date, if low enrollment or other circumstances make it necessary. Each registrantwill be notified either by mail, e-mail or at the phone or fax numbers given on the registration form.
In case of activity cancellation, liability of the Department of CME/Conference Management is limited to the registration fee. CME/Conference Services will refund the full registration fee. The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to limit the number of participants in a program and is not responsible for any expenses incurred by an individual whose registration isnot confirmed and for whom space is not available.
For additional information, contact CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll free at866-849-5866.
- A block of rooms has been reserved for conference attendees at Houston Marriott Medical Center Hotel, 6580 Fannin St., Houston, Texas 77030.
- Early reservation is suggested.The hotel phone number is 713-796-0080.
- The toll free number is 800-228-9290.
- When you make reservations be sure to mention the “MD Anderson Physicians Network Symposium” to be assured of receiving the special meeting rate of $99.00 single or double occupancy. Please add 17% for state and local taxes.
- Reservations and deposits received after Wednesday, October 4, 2017, will be confirmed if space is available and at currently published hotel guest room rates.
- Reservaton Link: Book your group rate for MD Anderson Physician Network
Prices are subject to change and vary depending on the location of the conference.
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU).
- Taxicabs are available at an estimated cost of $50-60 to or from each airport.
- SuperShuttle operates a shuttle bus between George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center for $27 one-way and $54 round-trip.
- The SuperShuttle between William P. Hobby Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center is $24 for one-way and the roundtrip cost is $48.
- For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll-free at 800-258-3826.
Parking is available in Garage 10, which is located on the east side of the Clark Clinic, for $12 per day. There are EasyPay Stations on the first, second and third floors, instead of a cashier. The EasyPay Station is a self-serve payment station and will take cash or credit cards. You feed your ticket into the machine, it tells you how much you owe, you then pay that amount and the machine returns your "paid" ticket. Take the "paid" ticket to the exit gate and feed it into a machine there to raise the gate and exit the garage.
Take the crosswalk on level 3 of Garage 10 into MD Anderson. The first set of elevators on your left (next to the guard station) can be used to access floor 11. As you exit the elevator on floor 11, you will be at the back of the auditorium. Turn to your left to follow the hallway to the registration desk and the front of the auditorium.
Click here for a map.
*Parking fees are not reimbursable.
Photographing, audio taping and video taping are prohibited.