This conference has ended. This page will be updated when information on next year's conference becomes available.
Symposia on Cancer Research 2018
The Leading Edge of Cancer Research
Oct. 4-5, 2018
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Robert Lee Clark Clinic Building
Floor 11, R11.1400
1515 Holcombe Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
Conf. #: X120426
The program will be of broad interest to scientists, scientists-in-training, physicians, physicians-in-training, students, nurses, and fellows interested in hearing significant advances in cancer research and clinical developments, and how data emerging from this research are impacting personalized medicine.
- Conference Brochure
- Conference Committee
- Conference Agenda
- Young Investigator Travel Fellowship Awards
- Media Flyer
Agendas are subject to ch Travel Fellowship Awardsange because we are always striving to improve the quality of your educational experience. MD Anderson may substitute faculty with comparable expertise on rare occasions necessitated by illness, schedule conflicts and so forth.
Please let us know what specific topics, issues or questions you wish to see addressed or emphasized in this activity. Fax CME/Conference Management at 713-794-1724 or email email@example.com. All responses will be forwarded to the Program Chair for consideration.
After attending the symposium, participants should be able to:
- Evaluate current issues and trends in cancer care;
- Describe evidence-based standards of care including innovations in diagnosis and treatment and to integrate these evolving approaches from diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic perspectives;
- Describe the clinical and molecular facets of pathogenesis, diagnostic approaches and therapeutic modalities available for various types of cancer;
- Choose new therapeutic options for the treatment of a number of common malignancies; understanding appropriate indications and contraindications to these therapeutic approaches;
- Explain how to personalize treatment strategies for patients with
Over the past decade, cancer research has yielded a wealth of therapeutic options for patients for many different subtypes of cancer, as well as greater knowledge of this disease. In particular, agents targeting oncogenic drivers and immunotherapeutic approaches have transformed the management of cancer patients in recent years. This symposium will discuss emerging concepts across the breadth of cancer research – from tumor heterogeneity to cancer metabolism, drug resistance, cell signaling, clonal evolution, and metastasis, immunology, translational, and clinical studies.
Among our outstanding speakers at the Symposium are Keynote speaker Joan S. Brugge, PhD (Harvard Medical School), our 2018 Ernst W. Bertner Memorial Awardee, C. David Allis, PhD (The Rockefeller University) and our 2018 Health Memorial Awardee, Joan Massague, PhD (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center). The Symposium begins Thursday morning and will end Friday afternoon.
The cover image depicts single cells (circles) that are encapsulated within a ductal structure in the breast from a woman with early-stage breast cancer. Within the ducts, there are four major tumor clones with different genotypes indicated by colors. Image credit: Aislyn Schalck, Anna Casasent, and Nicholas Navin, the MD Anderson UT Health Graduate School for Biomedical
- Question and answer sessions
- Panel discussions
- PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED, YOU MAY REGISTER ON-SITE
- On-site registration opens at 7:00 a.m., Thursday, October 4, 2018. The opening session will begin at 9:00 a.m. on October 4, and the symposium will adjourn at 12:45 p.m. on Friday, October 5, 2018.
- Advance registration by Sept. 21, 2018, is encouraged as space and materials are limited.
- Please see the registration form for applicable fees.
- The full Symposium registration fee includes the tuition, breaks, lunches, and reception.
- The student registration fee includes all of the above.
Postmarked on or before Sept. 21, 2018
- Full Conference: $300
- One Day (Thursday or Friday): $105
- MD Anderson Alumni: $225
- Student Registration: $100
- MD Anderson Faculty, Staff, Trainees: (Exempt)
Postmarked after Sept. 21, 2017
- Full Conference: $375
- One Day (Thursday or Friday): $135
- MD Anderson Alumni: $280
- Student Registration: $125
- MD Anderson Faculty, Staff, Trainees: (Exempt)
Additional Registration Information
A reduced registration fee has been established for full-time students and physicians-in-training (interns, residents, and fellows). All students claiming this reduced fee are required to submit a letter of introduction from the chairperson of their department with their registration form.
MD Anderson Alumni:
Alumni are defined as any faculty member (research or clinical) who has worked at MD Anderson and has retired or resigned, or any educational trainee who has trained at MD Anderson.
We accept the following forms of payment:
• Check (payable through U.S. banks only)
• Money order
• Credit cards (MasterCard, Visa and American Express)
• Cash (on-site registration only)
If you register online, a receipt/confirmation letter will be automatically emailed to the email address you list on the registration form. If you register by fax or mail, a receipt/confirmation letter will be sent to you within 10 working days of the receipt of your fee.
The registration fee, minus a $50 administrative handling fee, is refundable if a written request is received on or before Sept. 21, 2018. No refunds will be granted after that date. The request for a registration refund must include the tax identification number of the company or institution if registration was paid by a company or institution check. For additional information, contact CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll free at 866-849-5866 or you may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to cancel activities prior to the scheduled date if low enrollment or other circumstances make it necessary. Each registrant will be notified by mail, email or at the phone or fax numbers given on the registration form.
In case of activity cancellation, the liability of the Department of CME/Conference Management is limited to the registration fee. CME/Conference Management will refund the full registration fee.
The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to limit the number of participants in a program and is not responsible for any expenses incurred by an individual whose registration is not confirmed and for whom space is not available.
- A block of rooms has been reserved for symposium attendees at the Hotel ZaZa, 5701 Main Street, Houston, Texas.
- Early hotel reservation is suggested.
- Hotel phone number is 713-526-1991.
- When you make reservations be sure to mention MD Anderson's Research Symposium to be assured of receivin the special meeting rate of $195.00 single or double occupancy.
- Please add 17% Texas state and local taxes.
- Reservations and deposits received after September 3, 2018, will be confirmed if space is available and at current hotel published guest room rates.
- Please click here for a list of area hotels.
Prices are subject to change and vary depending on the location of the conference.
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU).
- Taxicabs are available at an estimated cost of $40-60 to or from each airport.
- SuperShuttle operates a shuttle bus between George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the Hotel ZaZa for $23 one-way and $42 round-trip.
- The shuttle between William P. Hobby Airport and the Hotel ZaZa is $18 for one-way and the roundtrip cost is $32. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll-free at 800-258-3826.
Parking is available in Garage 10, which is located on the east side of the Clark Clinic, for $12 per day. There are EasyPay Stations on the first, second and third floors, instead of a cashier. The EasyPay Station is a self-serve payment station and will take cash or credit cards. You feed your ticket into the machine, it tells you how much you owe, you then pay that amount and the machine returns your "paid" ticket. Take the "paid" ticket to the exit gate and feed it into a machine there to raise the gate and exit the garage.
Take the crosswalk on level 3 of Garage 10 into MD Anderson. The first set of elevators on your left (next to the guard station) can be used to access floor 11. As you exit the elevator on floor 11, you will be at the back of the auditorium. Turn to your left to follow the hallway to the registration desk and the front of the auditorium.
Photographing, audio taping and video taping are prohibited.