"T Cell Movement/Traffic"
Each year, the MD Anderson Summer Experience concludes with a final event featuring more than 250 high school, undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral interns. Students will hone their science communication skills by presenting their research in the form of a scientific poster and competing in an Elevator Speech competition.
The 2022 Summer Experience will conclude with two events:
1) Elevator Speech competition on Wednesday, August 10, 2022, from 11 a.m. to noon on Zoom. Selected finalists will compete for a cash prize: Best Speech and People's Choice.
2) Poster Session (for in-person summer interns only) on Thursday, August 11, 2022, from 9 a.m. to noon in CPB 8, Rooms 1-8.
Poster & Elevator Speech (ES) Resources
Elevator Speech competition:
- Any summer student appointed to one of the MD Anderson Summer Experience participating programs is eligible to register and audition for the Elevator Speech (ES) competition.
- Selected finalists will compete live at 11 a.m. CDT on Wednesday, August 10, 2022 on Zoom.
- The focus of the elevator speech is on communicating the significance of your work, rather than on reporting specific conclusive results.
- Instructional workshops for creating elevator speeches will be offered (see Schedule: Timeline & Order of Events below).
- Cash prizes will be awarded for Best Speech and People's Choice.
|Fri., July 1||8 a.m. CDT||ES Competition Registration Opens||bit.ly/ESCompetitionRegistration|
|Tues., July 12||2-3:30 p.m. CDT||ES Workshop Part A: Basics & Structure with Dr. Brittany Parker Kerrigan||Zoom. Calendar invitation sent to all SE students via email|
|Tues., July 19||2-3:30 p.m. CDT||ES Workshop Part B: Styling & Presentation with Dr. Brittany Parker Kerrigan||Zoom. Calendar invitation sent to all SE students via email.|
|Weds., July 27||11:59 p.m. CDT||ES Competition Registration Closes||bit.ly/ESCompetitionRegistration|
|Sun., July 31||11:59 p.m. CDT||ES Audition Video Deadline||Link will be emailed to ES registrants|
|Thurs., Aug. 4||5 p.m. CDT||Abstract submission deadline||https://mdanderson.libwizard.com/f/summerexperienceabstracts|
|Mon., Aug 8||5 p.m. CDT||Poster submission deadline||Link will be posted on this web page after July 1.|
|Mon., Aug. 8||5 p.m. CDT||Selected ES Competition Finalists Notified|
|Tues., Aug. 9||3-4 p.m. CDT||ES Finalist Rehearsal||Zoom. Calendar invitation sent via email|
|Weds., Aug. 10||11 a.m. - Noon CDT||Summer Experience Elevator Speech Competition & Awards||Zoom. Calendar invitation sent via email to all SE students|
|Thurs., Aug. 11||9 a.m. - Noon CDT||Summer Experience Poster Session (for students appointed as in-person only)||CPB 8 Rooms 1-8|
Summer Experience Elevator Speech Competition (Order of Events)
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Elevator speech competition
- 11:30 - 11:45 a.m. Intermission & Elevator speech judging
- 11:45 a.m. - Noon: Announcement of elevator speech winners & closing remarks
- Commit to compete. Register by 11:59 p.m. CDT, Weds., July 27. All registrants will receive an invitation to upload their 90-second audition video to box.
- Attend the free optional workshops. Learn to create effective elevator speeches. Bring questions in advance and obtain handouts from a buddy or download materials from our box folder. See Schedule below.
- Create your 90-second audition video using your tablet, laptop, camcorder, computer or smartphone. This is only a preliminary Elevator Speech. Acceptable video file formats are: 3g2, 3gp, avi, m2v, m4v, mov, mp4, mpeg, mpg and wmv. In this video, tell us about yourself and your summer research project. Be as creative (e.g. use props) and innovative as you wish. Video filename format: LastName,FirstName_ES.xxx. Example: Doe,Jane_ES.mp4
- Upload your audition video to box by 11:59 p.m. CDT, Sun., July 31.
- Find out if you're a finalist. Finalists will be notified via email by 5 p.m. CDT, Mon., Aug. 8.
- Rehearse your speech, 3-4pm CDT, Tues., Aug. 9 with other finalists. Be prepared to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Speak to compete live on Zoom at 11 a.m. CDT on Weds., Aug. 10 for cash prizes: Best Speech and People's Choice.
NOTE: The following abstract and poster submission instructions are only for digital publishing, not the poster session. Consult your program manager for the poster submission deadline for printing your poster for the MD Anderson Summer Experience Poster Session scheduled for 9am CDT on Thursday, August 11, 2022.
- The abstracts and posters for all MD Anderson Summer Experience interns, regardless of appointment location, will be published in MD Anderson OpenWorks https://openworks.mdanderson.org/summerexperience/, an online repository for scholarship, including posters and abstracts.
- By publishing your products in Open Works, each abstract and poster will be assigned a unique url DOI (Data Object Identifier) that can be used on CVs, Resumes, professional websites (e.g., LinkedIn), and other digital media platforms. In short, you can easily share your summer research with others.
- Abstracts for MD Anderson Summer Experience students are featured in the OpenWorks digital collection. This online 'book of abstracts' is a way to showcase the amazing cancer research conducted by SE interns and can be cited indefinitely.
- Deadline: Friday, August 4, 2022, 5 p.m. CDT
- Enter abstract details using the form at https://mdanderson.libwizard.com/f/summerexperienceabstracts. No file upload required.
- Must list all authors. Each author must include institution affiliation.
- Keyword limit: Less than 5
- Must be 400 words or less with following sub-headings:
- Deadline: Monday, August 8, 2022, 5 p.m. CDT
- To create your poster:
- Must be saved and uploaded as an Adobe .pdf file.
- Poster font must be Arial or Times New Roman.
- Must be uploaded as an Adobe .pdf file.
- Background color must be white.
- There are no other requirements for the body of the poster.
- See Poster and Elevator Speech resources above for actual posters submitted by MD Anderson students.
- A link to submit your completed poster will be available on this web page after July 1, 2022.
I am unable to attend an ES workshop, but I can view the recording. May I still register for the ES competition?
ES Workshop attendance is not required to enter the competition, this includes viewing a recorded workshop. Workshop attendance is highly recommended for those who plan to enter the competition.
I'm confused. Why do we have to upload our abstract and poster? Is there a abstract and poster contest?
Uploading the abstract and posters will allow your work to receive a url link to share on your resume, social media, and other digital platforms. Each participating Summer Experience program will receive funding from MD Anderson to host an independent poster competition to award prizes to the best posters. Contact your program for details.
I need more time to work on my abstract and poster, can the deadline be extended?
No. Please plan accordingly and submit the abstract and poster by 5 p.m. CDT of the deadline provided.
I am a high school intern, but I'm not in an SE program, can I enter the competition?
Only MD Anderson Summer Experience students are eleigible to register and compete.
My summer project is not complete. What should I do?
The abstract, poster or Elevator Speech does not require conclusive or complete results. Report your findings and future research objectives.
I registered for the ES competition, but what if I change my mind?
Students who register for the competition are not obligated to upload an audition video. Registration signals our office that you are interested. If you decide not to enter the competion, do no upload an audition video.
What attire is required for the ES competition?
Please dress professionally (as if you were going on a job interview). Some options are suit jackets, ties, blouses, button-up shirts, and dresses.
May I invite my family and friends to attend?
Yes. All SE students will receive an Outlook calendar invitation to the ES competition and may share the link with family and friends.
I am unable to attend both ES workshops. Will someone send me workshop materials?
No. It is the student's responsibility to visit our Google drive folder at https://bit.ly/ElevatorSpeechMaterials to download handouts, presentation slides, and view recorded videos.
My SE program is having a final oral presentation event for our division. I was told that we will have to give an Elevator Speech for this event. Do I need to attend the ES workshop (I don't plan to enter the ES competition)?
Some participating Summer Experience programs may host oral presentation events for their students. Your program will determine the final presentation training and requirements. Consult your program manager for more information.
Why do I need to change the filename for my Elevator Speech audition video?
We need to know who the video belongs to. Simply rename the video filename using the format: LastName,FirstName_ES.xxx . Example: Doe,Jane_ES.mp4. Files without the appropriate file name format will be disqualified.
What are the prize amounts for the Scientific Poster and Elevator Speech?
The prize amounts vary each year and will be posted on this website after July 1. Awards for Scientific Posters and Elevator Speech Competition will be in cash and sent via U.S. mail in a paper check or direct deposit usually within 14 calendar days of the event. Scientific Poster awards will be distributed by each summer program. Please consult your summer program manager for the poster prize criteria and award amounts.
A panel of judges will select the Best Speech Award and the audience will participate in an electronic poll to select People's Choice Award.
Who will be invited to the Elevator Speech Competition?
All SE programs are invited to the ES competition. Individual programs should forward the announcement/invitation to the mentors and support staff of their students. If you plan to enter the competition, it is your responsibility to inform your program, department, mentor, and colleagues. You may also forward the Zoom link/calendar invitation to your family or friends. Please do not post MDA Zoom links on social media or any websites.
Can a student win both Best Speech & People's Choice awards?
I am an ES finalist, may I submit a recorded video for the live competition?
No. ES finalists will compete live on Zoom.
Nancy Strange (session and OpenWorks publishing questions)
Education and Training
Marites P. Melancon, Ph.D. (content questions)
Program Director, Summer Experience Program
Associate Professor, Interventional Radiology
Chandra Bartholomeusz, Ph.D. (content questions)
Associate Director, Summer Experience Program
Associate Professor, Breast Medical Oncology
Elevator Speech Competition
Kava L. Lewis, M.A. (competition and event questions)
Cancer Prevention Research Training Program