MD Anderson Summer Experience Final Event: Poster Session and Elevator Speech Competition
Did You Know?
Any MD Anderson Summer Experience student is eligible to enter the Elevator Speech Competition and compete for a cash prize.
This poster session and elevator speech competition will showcase the research of the MD Anderson Summer Experience participants. We strongly encourage all MD Anderson faculty, staff and trainees to attend this special event, as well as research team, family and friends of the participants.
Participants are those at MD Anderson for a summer experience including high school students, undergraduates, graduate research assistants, research interns, and health professional students.
This year's event will take place from 9 a.m. to Noon on Thursday, August 10, 2017 in the Dan L. Duncan - Cancer Prevention Building (CPB) 8th Floor, Rooms 1 through 8. The street address is 1155 Pressler Avenue, Houston, TX 77030.
|8 a.m. - 9 a.m.||Poster presenter check-in:
Participants must report to CPB 8 Rms 1 - 8, for breakfast and to hang up their poster.
ALL posters must be in place by 8:45 a.m.
|9 a.m. - 11 a.m.||Poster Session: All MD Anderson Summer Experience students will present posters on their summer research projects.|
|11 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.||Elevator Speech Competition|
|11:30 a.m. - Noon||Intermission & Elevator Speech Judging|
|Noon||Elevator Speech Winner Announced, Closing Ceremony Remarks|
- Finalists will be selected from pre-submitted videos and will compete during the final summer event.
- These selected finalists will compete live, in person, on Thursday, August 10th., by presenting 90-second elevator speeches describing their research as part of the MD Anderson Summer Experience. The focus of the elevator speech is on communicating the significance of your work, rather than on reporting specific results.
- Instructional workshops for creating elevator speeches will be offered (see Elevator Speech Workshops, Rehearsals & Deadlines below). It is highly recommended that those considering entering the competition attend these workshops in order to obtain Elevator Speech handouts and other information.
- Any high school student, undergraduate, graduate, health professional (Medical, Pharm D, Nursing, etc.) or research intern at MD Anderson for a summer experience, is eligible to register and participate.
- You do not need to submit a written abstract, and you do not need to have conclusive results to compete.
- Cash prizes will be awarded for Elevator Speeches in the categories of Best Speech and People's Choice.
Step 1: Commit to Compete. Register at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017-ES-Competition by 5 p.m. Friday, July 28. All registrants will receive an invitation to the designated box.com account to upload their video submission.
Step 2: Attend the free workshops & rehearsal. Learn how to create effective elevator speeches, practice, and get feedback. During the workshops you will receive the handouts: What is an elevator speech? and Elevator Speech: Elements, Styling and Tips. Be sure to bring your questions to the workshop and rehearsals (see Elevator Speech Workshops, Rehearsals and Deadlines below for times, dates & locations).
Step 3: Create your video. Create a 90 second video on your tablet, laptop, camcorder, computer or smartphone of a "preliminary" elevator speech. Acceptable video file formats are: 3g2, 3gp, avi, m2v, m4v, mov, mp4, mpeg, mpg, and wmv. In this video, tell us about yourself and your summer research project. Be as creative and innovative as you wish.
Step 4: Upload your video to box.com by 5 p.m., Tuesday, August 1 with the your first and last name included within the video file name.
Step 5: Find out if you're a finalist. Finalists will be selected from the submitted videos and notified via email by 5 p.m., Monday, August 7.
Step 6: Speak to Compete. The selected finalists will compete by presenting their elevator speeches, in person (not via video), on Thursday, August 10 at 11 a.m.
Step 7: Claim your prize. The elevator speech winners will be announced at noon on Thursday, August 10. Two cash prizes will be awarded for Best Speech and People's Choice.
Workshop and rehearsal dates and deadlines will be posted here by June 1, 2017.
The following are great examples of elevator speeches.
MD Anderson Trainee Research Day (2015)
- Ben LaCount II Nanotherapy in our Future
- Tamara Laskowski - Immunotherapy: Training your Immune System to Kill Cancer (Best Speech Winner)
- John Lattier - MLC in Brain Cancer
- Felix Nwajei - T Cell Movement/Traffic, T Cells in Brain Tumors (People's Choice Winner)