The Outstanding Research Publication Awards recognize the achievements of postdoctoral fellows for work accomplished at MD Anderson. These annual awards are sponsored by the MD Anderson Odyssey Program and funded by the Ernst W. Bertner Memorial Fund and the Heath Memorial Fund. When a recipient is chosen, he or she will be acknowledged as the first author of an outstanding contribution to the scientific literature in the broadly defined area of cancer research.
Research Publication Award Recipients
2019 Outstanding Research Publication Award recipients Gabriele Romano, Ph.D. and Heng-Huan Lee, Ph.D.
2019 Outstanding Research Publication Award recipient Heng-Huan Lee, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow, Molecular & Cellular Oncology
2019 Outstanding Research Publication Award recipient Gabriele Romano, Ph.D., postdoctoral fellow, Translational Molecular Pathology
The Outstanding Research Publication Awards will recognize excellence in two research categories - basic and translational. This award includes monetary prizes, certificates and invitations to give public presentations at an Odyssey Program-sponsored public seminar, where the awards will be officially presented to the winners.
The awardee must have been employed at MD Anderson as a postdoctoral fellow when the manuscript was submitted for publication. The awardee must be the first author on this paper, and the work must have been done at MD Anderson. The paper must have been published within FY19 (Sept. 1, 2018, to Aug. 31, 2019) either online or on paper.
All MD Anderson postdoctoral fellows are eligible to apply. You must be the first author on the article. This may include authors contributing equally or co-first authors.
The application opens on Oct. 1, and the deadline is Nov. 15, at 5 p.m. CST. Eligible postdoctoral fellows will receive an email with detailed information.
Applications must contain the following:
- Application form which includes a brief description (in 4 bullet points or less) explaining the significance of the publication
- The research paper under consideration (published paper).
- Download and complete the Outstanding Publication Award application form (pdf).
- Save your completed application form and a copy of published paper/manuscript as PDF documents.
- Combine your documents, in the order listed above, into a single PDF document.
- Name the combined PDF document as follows: Lastname_Firstname.pdf.
- Submit your combined PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Odyssey Program Advisory Committee will select award recipients based on this score sheet. The following are the criteria for scoring:
- Significance of the work described in the manuscript
- Novelty of findings reported
- Likelihood that the reported findings will advance the field
- Impact factor of the scientific journal where the article is or will be published (basic research) or impact (translational research)
Refer to the Thomson Reuters Web of Science site for information on impact factor.
If several outstanding entries score similarly, additional considerations will include the following criteria:
- Number and importance of other recent publications by the same author
- Number of additional authors on the publication (listing fewer authors suggests a more significant contribution by each author)
- Quality of writing of the publication
2019 Award Recipients
2019 Outstanding Research Publication Award- Basic Research supported
by The Ernst W. Bertner Memorial Fund
Heng-Huan Lee, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow, Molecular & Cellular Oncology
Mentor: Mien-Chie Hung
“Angiogenin/Ribonuclease 5 Is an EGFR Ligand and a Serum Biomarker for Erlotinib Sensitivity in Pancreatic Cancer”
Cancer Cell 33, 752-769, April 9, 2018
2019 Outstanding Research Publication Award – Translational Research supported by The Heath Memorial Fund
Gabriele Romano, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow, Translational Molecular Pathology
Mentor: Dr. Lawrence N. Kwong
“A pre-existing rare PIK3CA-E545K subpopulation confers clinical resistance to MEK plus CDK4/6 inhibition in NRAS melanoma and is dependent on S6K1 signaling”
Cancer Discovery, 556, May, 2018
Questions regarding the Outstanding Research Publication Award competition should be addressed to email@example.com.