The Outstanding Research Publication Awards recognize the achievements of postdoctoral fellows for work accomplished at MD Anderson. These annual awards are sponsored by the MD Anderson Odyssey Program and funded by the Ernst W. Bertner Memorial Fund and the Heath Memorial Fund. When a recipient is chosen, he or she will be acknowledged as the first author of an outstanding contribution to the scientific literature in the broadly defined area of cancer research.
Research Publication Award Recipients
2021 Outstanding Research Publication Award recipient Pingping Hou, Ph.D.
2021 Outstanding Research Publication Award recipient Guangchan Han, Ph.D.
Pingping Hou, P.hD., Recipient of 2021 Outstanding Research Publication Award
The Outstanding Research Publication Awards will recognize excellence in two research categories - basic and translational. This award includes monetary prizes, certificates and invitations to give public presentations at an Odyssey Program-sponsored public seminar, where the awards will be officially presented to the winners.
The awardee must have been employed at MD Anderson as a postdoctoral fellow when the manuscript was submitted for publication. The awardee must be the first author on this paper, and the work must have been done at MD Anderson. The paper must have been published (online or paper) within FY21 (Sept. 1, 2020, to Aug. 31, 2021). Papers that are in press and is not available online at the time of submission, although officially accepted for publication will not qualify.
All MD Anderson postdoctoral fellows are eligible to apply. You must be the first author on the article. This may include authors contributing equally or co-first authors.
The application opens on Oct. 1, and the deadline is Nov. 15, at 5 p.m. CST. Eligible postdoctoral fellows will receive an email with detailed information.
Applications must contain the following:
- Application form which includes a brief description (in 4 bullet points or less) explaining the significance of the publication
- The research paper under consideration (must be e-published or published in print).
- Download and complete the Outstanding Publication Award application form (pdf).
- Save your completed application form and a copy of published paper/manuscript as PDF documents.
- Combine your documents, in the order listed above, into a single PDF document.
- Name the combined PDF document as follows: Lastname_Firstname.pdf.
The Odyssey Program Advisory Committee will select award recipients based on this score sheet. The following are the criteria for scoring:
- Importance and novelty of the work described in the manuscript
- Likelihood thata the reported findings will open new research areas
- Impace in cancer patients and understanding of cancer biology
If several outstanding entries score similarly, additional considerations will include the following criteria:
- Number and importance of other recent publications by the same author
- Number of additional authors on the publication (listing fewer authors suggests a more significant contribution by each author)
- Quality of writing of the publication
2021 Award Recipients
2021 Outstanding Research Publication Award - Basic Research supported by The Ernst W. Bertner Memorial Fund
Pingping Hou, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow, Cancer Biology
Mentor: Dr. Ronald DePinho
“Tumor Microenvironment Remodeling Enables Bypass of Oncogenic KRAS Dependency in Pancreatic Cancer”
Cancer Discovery, 2020
2021 Outstanding Research Publication Award -Translational Research supported by The Heath Memorial Fund
Guangchun Han, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow, Genomic Medicine
Mentor: Dr. Linghua Wang
“Characteristics of antiCD19 CAR T cell infusion products associated with efficacy and toxicity in patients with large B cell lymphomas”
Nature Medicine, 2020
Questions regarding the Outstanding Research Publication Award competition should be addressed to email@example.com.