Career Development Links
These Web sites provide resources and information for research scientists on issues such as employment, research and technology, as well as tools for success, such as tips on giving presentations and writing resumés. Information on grants and fellowships are available at Funding Opportunities.
- Academic Physician & Scientist: Provides a large and comprehensive compilation of job openings in academic medicine, as well as career development tools, such as this article published in May 2004 - Five Potential Pitfalls for Junior Faculty at Academic Health Centers by R. Kevin Grigsby, DSW
- Science Careers: Provides information on employment, job alerts, a database where one can post resumés/ curriculum vitae and other resources
- HUM-MOLGEN Positions in Bioscience and Medicine: Maintains a searchable database of positions in genetics and biotechnology
- Academic360.com: Maintains a collection of Internet resources for the academic job hunter, including faculty, staff and administrative announcements
- Experimental Medicine Job Listing (EMJL): Provides links to Web sites for Canadian and international fellowships, positions and other job resources
- NewScientist Jobs: Provides a searchable database for hundreds of science jobs
Science and Technology
- Science's Next Wave: Offers a career development resource for scientists, with articles available through special-focus portals and extensive archives
- The Scientist: The News Journal for the Life Scientist: Provides research scientists with an open forum for examination and discussion of issues in research, employment, funding and more
- BioMedNet: The Internet Community for Biological and Medical Researchers: Offers several resources for biomedical scientists, including a comprehensive database of mouse knockouts and mutations, MEDLINE and news and comment on issues related to research
- Community of Science Expertise: Offers detailed professional information for scientists and scholars, including positions, publications, patents, research activities and more
Tips for Success
- University of Kansas Medical Center Online Tutorial Series: Effective Presentations: Provides hints on developing an effective presentation of one's research.
- LJL Seminars: A professional speaking and communication skills expert provides monthly presentation skills and public speaking tips.
- American Society of Plant Biologists: How to Make a Great Poster: Detailed advice on creating an effective poster for presentation.
- Preparing Future Faculty: A collaborative effort of the Association of American Colleges and Universities and the Council of Graduate Schools and sponsored by The Pew Charitable Trusts and the National Science Foundation, provides information the postdoctoral fellow and other aspiring academics will find useful in preparing for this career.