What's New in the CPRTP?
What's New provides the latest news from the Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP). Our newsletter is published three times a year in the Winter (Jan-Mar), Spring/Summer (Apr-Aug) and Fall (Oct-Dec) and includes program updates, upcoming events, trainee accolades, and past events. For previous editions, access the CPRTP News Archives located on the right rail of this page.
The CPRTP Summer Research Experience began June 7th! This year, 25 undergraduate, graduate and health professional students joined the Cancer Prevention Research Training Program as part of the 2016 MD Anderson Summer Experience. Through our NCI-funded R25E “Cancer Prevention Education: Student Research Experiences” grant (R25E CA056452, Dr. Shine Chang, Principal Investigator), we were able to create our summer program to bring in students from various institutions across the country, for an intensive 10-week research experience in cancer prevention.This year's experience will conclude on Friday, August 12th after the CPRTP Summer Exposition and MD Anderson SE Final Event. See Upcoming Events for details.
- Thursday, July 21, 2016, CPRTP Trainee Forum, 4:00 - 5:00pm, Duncan Cancer Prevention Building, CPB 8th Floor, Rooms 1 & 2.
- Tuesday, August 9, 2016, CPRTP Summer Exposition (Division of Cancer Prevention): Elevator Speeches, Poster Session & Reception, 11:00am - 1:00pm, Duncan Cancer Prevention Building, CPB 8th Floor, Rooms 1 - 4.
- Thursday, August 11, 2016 - MD Anderson Research Experience - Final Event: Poster Session, Elevator Speech (ES) Competition & Reception, 9:00am - Noon, Duncan Cancer Prevention Building, CPB 8th Floor, Rooms 1 - 8. Cash prizes will be awarded for Elevator Speeches in the categories of People's Choice and Best Speech. The Elevator Speech competition begins at 11am and is open to all MD Anderson Summer Research Experience students. Read more about this event and how to register for the ES competition!
- LaNisha Patterson-Ward (2015 R25E Summer Graduate Research Assistant, Pediatrics, Mentor: Dr. Joya Chandra) has been accepted into the Cell Biology Ph.D. program at the University of Texas Medical Branch for the fall semester of 2016.
- Siddhartha Roy (2015 R25E Summer Graduate Research Assistant, Health Disparities Research, Mentor: Dr. Lorna McNeill) was accepted into the Behavioral Oncology Postdoctoral Fellowship Program at Moffitt Cancer Center.
- Current NCI R25T Postdoctoral Fellow, Georges Khalil, Ph.D., has submitted an application for a K99/R00 Pathway to Independence grant award to the National Institutes of Health titled Smoking Prevention through Social Connections among Adolescents.
- Jinhai "Stephen" Huo, Ph.D., (Halliburton Postdoctoral Fellow, Health Services Research, Mentor: Dr. Tina Shih), won the oral competition award at MD Anderson Trainee Research Day on May 26, 2016.
The CPRTP welcomes the following predoctoral and postdoctoral fellowship awardees:
- Adriana Coletta, Ph.D., NCI R25T Postdoctoral Fellow, Behavioral Science, Mentor: Dr. Karen Basen-Engquist
- Yue Liao, Ph.D., Janice Davis Gordon Postdoctoral Fellow, Behavioral Science, Mentor: Dr. Susan Peterson
- Yuyan Han, Ph.D., NCI R25T Postdoctoral Fellow, Epidemiology, Mentor: Dr. Jeri Kim
- Ashley Housten, Ph.D., NCI R25T Postdoctoral Fellow, Health Services Research, Mentor: Dr. Robert Volk
- Margaret Raber, NCI R25T Predoctoral Fellow, Pediatrics, Mentor: Dr. Joya Chandra
- Monica Reyes, Ph.D., NCI R25T Postdoctoral Fellow, Epidemiology, Mentor: Dr. Michelle Hildebrandt
For questions, comments or to contribute a trainee accolade or event, please contact the web content manager:
Kava L. Lewis
Cancer Prevention Research Training Program
CPRTP News Archives
Where Are They Now?
Visit the CPRTP Trainee Alumni page!