What's New in the CPRTP?
What's New provides the latest news from the Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP). Our newsletter is published quarterly in the Winter (Jan-Mar), Spring (Apr-Jun), Summer (Jul-Sept) and Fall (Oct-Dec) and includes program updates, upcoming events, trainee accolades, and past events. For previous editions, access the CPRTP News Archives located on the right rail of this page.
The following CPRTP Trainee Brown Bag Seminars are open to all faculty, staff and students including college students, research interns, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. These seminars will take place in the Dan L. Duncan Cancer Prevention Building, 1155 Pressler St., Houston, TX 77030, 8th Floor. The times and locations are subject to change. Send us an email.to be added to the CPRTP Trainee Brown Bag list serve! Feel free to bring your lunch.
- Dr. Emily Cox Martin, R25T Psychology Fellow, Behavioral Science, Tuesday, February 2, 2016, CPB 8 Room 7, Noon - 1pm
- Dr. Rajesh Talluri, NIDA Postdoctoral Fellow, Biostatistics, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, CPB 8 Room 3, Noon - 1pm
- Dr. Kristi Hoffman, R25T Postdoctoral Fellow, Epidemiology, Tuesday, March 22, 2016, CPB 8 Room 1, Noon - 1pm
- Kyle Chang, R25T Predoctoral Fellow, Clinical Cancer Prevention, Tuesday, March 29, 2016, CPB 8 Room 4, Noon - 1pm
Pictured Left to Right: Dr. Ernest Hawk, Dr. Sharon Giordano, Dr. Eduardo Vilar-Sanchez, Kyle Chang, Dr. Martin Chalfie, Dr. Ashish Deshmukh, Dr. Xifeng Wu, Dr. Carrie Cameron and Dr. Shine Chang.
Martin Chalfie, Ph.D., 2008 Nobel Prize Laureate was the keynote speaker for the Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, 8th annual awards in excellence for training and mentorship in cancer prevention. The individuals listed below are this year's recipients and honorable mentions. Listen to audio of this event and visit the DCPPS Annual Outstanding Trainee and Leading Mentor Awards page for more information.
The 2016 Leading Mentor in Cancer Prevention is Dr. Xifeng Wu, Professor of Epidemiology.
- Patrick M. Lynch, J.D., M.D., Professor, Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition
- Guang Peng, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Clinical Cancer Prevention
- Alex Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D., Professor, Behavioral Science
- Jason D. Robinson, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Behavioral Science
- Paul Scheet, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Epidemiology
- Hui Zhao, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Health Services Research
The 2016 Predoctoral Outstanding Trainee in Cancer Prevention is Kyle Chang, Clinical Cancer Prevention, Mentor: Dr. Eduardo Vilar-Sanchez.
- Shailesh Advani, M.P.H.; Mentors: Drs. Scott Kopetz and Patrick Lynch, Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition
- Shabnam Azadeh, Ph.D.; Mentors: Drs. Veera Baladandayuthapani & Brian Hobbs, Biostatistics
- Meghan Haffey; Mentor: Dr. Susan Schembre, Behavioral Science
- Imory Jefferson, B.A.; Mentor: Dr. Lorna McNeill, Health Disparities Research
- Michael La Chapelle, B.S.; Mentor: Dr. Lorna McNeill, Health Disparities Research
- Yulun Liu, M.S.; Mentor: Dr. Paul Scheet, Epidemiology
- Jeanne Pierzynski, M.P.H.; Mentor: Dr. Xifeng Wu, Epidemiology
The 2016 Postdoctoral Outstanding Trainee in Cancer Prevention is Dr. Ashish Deshmukh, Health Services Research, Mentor: Dr. Scott B. Cantor.
- Kristi Hoffman, Ph.D.; Mentor: Dr. Carrie Daniel-MacDougall, Epidemiology
- Beatriz Sánchez-Espiridión, Ph.D.; Mentor: Dr. Xifeng Wu, Epidemiology
- Jianfeng Shen, Ph.D.; Mentor: Dr. Guang Peng, Clinical Cancer Prevention
- Huakang Tu, Ph.D.; Mentor: Dr. Yuanqing Ye, Epidemiology
Special Thanks to Reviewers
Committee for selection of the “Leading Mentor in Cancer Prevention Award”:
- Ashish Deshmukh, Ph.D. (Chair) - Health Services Research
- Shailesh Advani - Epidemiology
- Yong Cui, Ph.D. - Behavioral Science
- Oliver Delgado, Ph.D. - Clinical Cancer Prevention
- Ashley Jayne Housten, Ph.D. - Health Services Research
- Jinhai (Stephen) Huo, Ph.D. - Health Services Research
- Geetanjali Rohit Kamath - Health Services Research
- Yue Liao - Behavioral Science
- Jianfeng Shen, Ph.D. - Clinical Cancer Prevention
- Christine Vinci, Ph.D. - Health Disparities Research.
Committee for selection of the “Predoctoral & Postdoctoral Outstanding Trainees in Cancer Prevention Awards”:
- Ernest Hawk, M.D., Ph.D.
- Lorna McNeill, Ph.D.
- Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D.
- Sharon Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
*NOTE: In the DCPPS email dated 1/11/16, the five (5) department chairs were listed in error as the oustanding predoctoral & postdoctoral trainee award review committee members. Typically, the department chairs review all trainee nominations; however, this year other faculty were invited to review in place of the department chairs who were unable to participate.
For questions, comments or to contribute a trainee accolade or event, please contact the webmaster:
Cancer Prevention Research Training Program
PAST WINNERS: Annual DCPPS Trainee & Mentor Awards in Excellence
View past honorees of the prestigious
Division of Cancer Prevention & Population Sciences:
Outstanding Trainee &
Leading Mentor Awards in
Become a CPRTP Summer Mentor!
Where Are They Now?
Visit the CPRTP Trainee Alumni page!