Grant Writing Seminars
April 4-5, 2016
Dan L. Duncan Building (CPB), Floor 8, Rooms 1-8
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
1155 Pressler Street, Houston Texas
- On-site Registration opens at 7:30 a.m., Monday, April 4, 2016 and at 8:00 a.m., Tuesday, April 5, 2016. The opening session will begin at 8:30 a.m.on Monday and Tuesday, April 4 and 5, 2016.
- Advance registration is encouraged as space and materials are limited.
- Registration Information
- Grant Writing Seminars Flyer
- Houston Visitor Information
- Directions to MD Anderson
About the Seminars
The Department of Scientific Publications is bringing back to MD Anderson the widely acclaimed “Write Winning Grant Proposals” and “Write Winning NIH Career Development Award Proposals” series of seminars, presented by John D. Robertson, PhD, of Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops, LLC. The two seminars address both practical and conceptual aspects of the proposal-writing process.
Seminar 1 - Write Winning Grant Proposals
Monday, April 4, 5, 2016, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Registration Fee: $141.00 per person
“Write Winning Grant Proposals,” is based on the new NIH grant application guidelines. It will focus on helping you:
- write for reviewers and “sell” your proposal;
- develop ideas and organize your presentations using linear progression of logic to guide reviewers through your application; and
- write for two different reviewer audiences—those who have read the entire application before the review meeting and those who have not—and still develop advocacy for funding in both groups.
Seminar 2 - Write Winning NIH Career Development Award Proposals
Tuesday, April 5, 2016, 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Registration Fee: $93.00
“Write Winning NIH Career Development Award Proposals” will focus on individual mentored training grants and career development awards and is recommended for trainees, junior faculty members, and their mentors and/or advisors.
To attend Seminar 1 and 2 - Registration Fee: $171.00
Attendees will receive extensive handouts, including the slides and examples used during the seminars, as well as a copy of The Grant Application Writer’s Workbook.
For more information about Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops, LLC, visit http://www.grantcentral.com/.
About the Presenter
John D. Robertson, PhD, has received competitive extramural funding from both the NIH and non-federal sources. He has served as a member of grant review panels, a reviewer for various biomedical journals, a member of journal editorial boards, and as a mentor for junior-faculty grant applicants. He has authored more than 30 articles for peer-reviewed journals and has been recognized routinely for excellence in teaching.
Dr. Robertson earned his PhD in pharmacology and toxicology at the University of Texas at Austin and completed a postdoctoral research fellowship at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden. He was an assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology & Therapeutics at the University of Kansas Medical Center for seven years and an associate member of the University of Kansas Cancer Center for six years.
In 2010, Dr. Robertson was recruited by Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops, LLC, to teach grantsmanship. Russell earned his PhD in comparative pathology at the University of California–Davis and was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Scripps Research Institute. At the University of Kansas Medical Center, he was the Wilkinson Distinguished Professor of Cancer Research; Director of the Cancer Center; and Professor in the departments of Pathology and of Immunology and Medical Microbiology.
Parking: MD Anderson employees are encouraged to park in their normal location; however parking is available at the Mays Clinic garage – ENTRANCE 5 at (Holcombe Blvd & Bertner Ave). The garage is beneath the Mays Clinic Building. Mays Clinic is adjacent to the conference site, Duncan Building (CPB). Mays Clinic Self-parking is $12/day. Enter the garage through ENTRANCE 5 on Bertner Ave. and Holcombe Blvd.
Mays Clinic Valet parking is $15/day. Enter ENTRANCE 7 at Richard JV Johnson Blvd. and Holcombe Blvd.
Courtyard by Marriott-Houston-Medical Center
7702 Main St
Houston, Texas 77030
Houston Marriott at the Texas Medical Center
6580 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
Crowne Plaza Hotel Medical Center Houston
8686 Kirby Drive at I-610 South,
Houston, Texas 77054
Other area hotels visit: www.hotels.com
Ground Transportation (prices are subject to change)
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU).
- Taxicabs are available at an estimated cost of $50-60 to or from William P. Hobby Airport or George Bush Intercontinental Airport.
- Super Shuttle operates a shuttle bus between George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center Hotel for $27 one-way, $54 round-trip. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll free at 800-258-3826 or on-line at www.supershuttle.com.
- Super Shuttle operates a shuttle bus between William P. Hobby Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center Hotel for $24 one-way and $48 round-trip. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll free at
800-258-3826 or on-line at www.supershuttle.com.
The registration fee, minus a $50 administrative handling fee, is refundable if a written request is received on or before March 18, 2016. No refunds will be granted after that date. The request for a registration refund must include the tax identification number of the company or institution if registration was paid by a company or institution check. For additional information, contact CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll free at 866-849-5866.
The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to cancel activities prior to the scheduled date if low enrollment or other circumstances make it necessary. Each registrant will be notified by mail, e-mail, or by the phone or fax numbers provided on the registration form.
In case of activity cancellation, the liability of the Department of CME/Conference Management is limited to the registration fee. CME/Conference Management will refund the full registration fee. The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to limit the number of participants in a program and is not responsible for any expenses incurred by an individual whose registration is not confirmed and for whom space is not available.
Contact the Department of CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll free at 866-849-5866 if you have any special dietary or ADA accommodation needs.