Center for Energy Balance Research Seminar
Transdisciplinary Energy Balance Research Seminar is open to all!
Our research seminar meets the third Thursday of every month from 12-1 p.m. to discuss breaking state-of-the-science research related to Energy Balance. The seminar brings researchers from multiple disciplines together to examine a different energy balance-related topic each month. We intend to highlight the translational and trans-disciplinary nature of energy balance research and promote communication between interested researchers.
Upcoming Research Seminars
May 19, 2016
Bionutrition Research Core and PROSPR
Presented by: Christine Ranieri, MS, RD, and Carrie Howard, MA, MBA
Past Research Seminars
- April 14, 2016
- March 17, 2016
- February 18, 2016
- January 21, 2016
- December 17, 2015
- November 19, 2015
- October 15, 2015
- September 17, 2015
- July 16, 2015
- June 18, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- April 16, 2015
- March 19, 2015
- February 19, 2015
- January 29, 2015
- December 12, 2014
- November 14, 2014
- October 10, 2014
- September 12, 2014
- July 18, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- May 9, 2014
- April 11, 2014
- March 14, 2014
- January 10, 2014
The role of DNA repair in the onset, prognosis and treatment of colorectal cancer
- Naccarati, A. et al. (2015). Double-strand break repair and colorectal cancer: gene variants within 3' UTRs and microRNAs binding as modulators of cancer risk and clinical outcome
- Slyskova, J. et al. (2012). Functional, Genetic, and Epigenetic Aspects of Base and Nucleotide Excision Repair in Colorectal Carcinomas
- Skyskova, J. et al. (2015). Post-Treatment Recovery of Suboptimal DNA Repair Capacity and Gene Expression Levels in Colorectal Cancer Patients
Biomarkers of the BMI-Breast Cancer Association
Working before Whipples: The feasibility of exercise during preoperative therapy for pancreatic cancer
Objectively measuring physical activity: Research and clinical applications of accelerometers
Open Your Mouth & Say "Ah": Searching for Signs of Energy Balance in the Oral Microbiome
Obesity in pediatric ALL patients during maintenance therapy: risk and prevention strategies
- Esbenshade AJ. et al. (2013). Obesity and insulin resistance in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia worsens during maintenance therapy.
The Clash of the Diets, Mediterranean versus Low-Fat: Which is more Effective for Breast Cancer Prevention?
- Toledo, E. et al. (2015). Mediterranean Diet and Invasive Breast Cancer Risk Among Women at High Cardiovascular Risk in the PREDIMED Trial
Fat Browning: The Role in Cancer-Associated Cachexia
- Petruzzelli, M. et al. (2014). A switch from white to brown fat increases energy expenditure in cancer-associated cachexia
July 16, 2015Download Presentation
Genome-wide Transcriptome of Homologous Recombination DNA Repair and Insulin Pathways: Links between Energy Balance and Genomic Maintenance Pathways
- Peng, G. et al. (2014). Genome-wide transcriptome profiling of homologous recombination DNA repair
- Mostoslavsky, R. (2008). DNA repair, insulin signaling and sirtuins: at the crossroads between cancer and aging
Highlights from American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting and World Congress on Exercise in Medicine 2015
- Bouchard, C. et al. (2015). Personalized Preventive Medicine: Genetics and the Response to Regular Exercise in Preventive Interventions
- Cook, M.D. et al. (2013). Forced treadmill exercise training exacerbates inflammation and causes mortality while voluntary wheel training is protective in a mouse model of colitis
- LaVoy, E.C.P. et al. (2015). A single bout of dynamic exercise by healthy adults enhances the generation of monocyte-derived-dendritic cells
- Janssen, I. et al. (2015). Vigorous intensity physical activity is related to the metabolic syndrome independent of the physical activity dose
- Church, T. et al. (2015). Cardiac Determinants of Heterogeneity in Fitness Change in Response to Moderate Intensity Aerobic Exercise Training
A little exercise goes a long way to deliver chemotherapy
- Betof, A.S. et al. (2015). Modulation of Murine Breast Tumor Vascularity, Hypoxia and Chemotherapeutic Response by Exercise
- McCullough, D.J. et al. (2014). Modulation of Blood Flow, Hypoxia, and Vascular Function in Orthotopic Prostate Tumors During Exercise
Diet Modification and Metformin Have a Beneficial Effect in a Fly Model of Obesity and Mucormycosis
- Shirazi, F. et al. (2014). Diet Modification and Metformin Have a Beneficial Effect in a Fly Model of Obesity and Mucormycosis
Sedentary behavior and disease risk: Should we reduce how much we sit?
- Biswas, A. et al. (2015). Sedentary Time and Its Association With Risk for Disease Incidence, Mortality, and Hospitalization in Adults: A Systemic Review and Meta-analysis
- Bauman, A. et al. (2011). The Descriptive Epidemiology of Sitting: A 20-Country Comparison Using the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ)
Gamification of behavior change: using game mechanics and behavior change techniques in ehealth/mhealth interventions
- Lyons, E. et al. (2015). Behavior Change Techniques Implemented in Electronic Lifestyle Activity Monitors: A Systematic Content Analysis
- Lyons, E. (2015). Cultivating Engagement and Enjoyment in Exergames Using Feedback, Challenge, and Rewards
Obesity and Enhancement of Cancer Hallmarks
- Fuentes-Mattei, E. et al. (2014). Effects of Obesity on Transcriptomic Changes and Cancer Hallmarks in Estrogen Receptor-Positive Breast Cancer
December 12, 2014
Obesity and oral health, Is there an implication for cancer prevention and survival?
- Touger-Decker, R and Mobley, C. (2013) Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Oral Health and Nutrition
- Masood, M. et al. (2014). Dentists should be at the forefront in the fight against sugar
The Not-So-Sweet Impact of Artificial Sweeteners: Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota
- Suez, J, et al. (2014). Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota
- Feehley, T and Nagler, CR. (2014). The weighty costs of non-caloric sweeteners
Visceral adiposity and clinical outcomes in postmenopausal women with operable breast cancer. Does body shape matter?
- Dalal, S, et al. (2014). Association between visceral adiposity, BMI, and clinical outcomes in postmenopausal women with operable breast cancer.
The Ketogenic Diet and Potential Applications for Cancer Therapy
- Rieger, J, et al. (2014). ERGO: A pilot study of ketogenic diet in recurrent glioblastoma
- Otto, C, et al. (2008). Growth of human gastric cancer cells in nude mice is delayed by a ketogenic diet supplemented with omega-3 fatty acids and medium-chain triglycerides.
Could Fasting while Receiving Chemotherapy be Beneficial?
- Raffaghello L, et al. (2008). Starvation-dependent differential stress resistance protects normal but not cancer cells against high-dose chemotherapy.
- Safdie FM, et al. (2009). Fasting and cancer treatment in humans: A case series report.
The Effects of Screen Time Behaviors on Food and Beverage Intake.
- Marsh, S., C. Ni Mhurchu, et al. The non-advertising effects of screen-based sedentary activities on acute eating behaviours in children, adolescents, and young adults. A systematic review.
- Lyons, E. J., D. F. Tate, et al. The better the story, the bigger the serving: narrative transportation increases snacking during screen time in a randomized trial.
Social support and physical activity: Do you think you're better off alone?
- McNeill LH, Kreuter MW, Subramanian SV. Social environment and physical activity: A review of concepts and evidence.
- Vrazel J, Saunders RP, Wilcox S. An overview and proposed framework of social-environmental influences on the physical-activity behavior of women.
Are Scientists about to change their mind about diet again? A recent review argues that the associations between dietary fat and Heart Disease are not evidence-based.
- Chowdhury R et al. Association of Dietary, Circulating, and Supplement Fatty Acids With Coronary Risk. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Kupferschmidt K. Scientists Fix Errors in Controversial Paper about Saturated Fats.
Pancreatic Cancer Cachexia: A Model for Etiology & Therapy
- Bonetto A et al. JAK/STAT3 pathway inhibition blocks skeletal muscle wasting downstream of IL-6 and in experimental cancer cachexia.
- Prado CM et al. Central tenet of cancer cachexia therapy: do patients with advanced cancer have exploitable anabolic potential?
Stress, Obesity, and Inflammation: Pathways to Health Disparities
- Bower, JE. Cancer-related fatigue: Links with inflammation in cancer patients and survivors.
- Fagundes CP, Murray DM, Hwang BS, Gouin JP, Thayer JF, Sollers JJ, Shapiro CL, Malarkey WB, and Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Sympathetic and parasympathetic activity in cancer-related fatigue: More evidence for a physiological substrate in cancer survivors.
Please contact us with any energy balance-related topics or publications that you want to see discussed in the future!
May 19, 2016
Energy Balance Research Seminar
Bionutrition Research Core and PROPSR
Christine Ranieri, MS, RD and Carrie Howard, MA, MBA