2016 Scientific Retreat
The Rolanette and Berdon Lawrence Bone Disease Program of Texas annual scientific retreat highlights cutting-edge research in metabolic and metastatic bone disease through formal lectures, research, discussions, and poster presentations.
The 2016 Scientific Retreat is scheduled for May 6, 2016.
Time: 1:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Location: Marriott Medical Center Hotel
6580 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030
- Deadline for registration for the 2016 Scientific Retreat (Forthcoming)
- Deadline for the Poster Abstract Submission (2016 Poster Abstract Submission Form)
- Electronic deadline for the 2016 Rolanette and Berdon Lawrence Research Award Application (2016 Application Guidelines).
- Scan your application and return via email to email@example.com by March 15, 2016
Research Award Guidelines
Open to Baylor College of Medicine, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Rice and UTHSC faculty members. Preference will be given to proposals from junior faculty (instructor or assistant professor within the first 5 years of their initial appointment.). Senior faculty who work outside bone research areas but have made observations relevant to bone research may also apply. Proposals should be focused on the major areas of programmatic development: bone metastases, bone health in cancer patients, bone formation, or the biology of the bone.
Terms: Awardee(s) will receive a maximum of $45,000 per year (direct costs only). Funding will be for one year. Investigators must devote a minimum of 15% effort for the project. Annual progress reports will be required.
Application Procedure: Candidates will submit a completed Research Award Application, Face Sheet with Abstract and a proposal of no more than five (5) pages in length. The proposal will include:
- Specific Aims
- Background and Significance
- Preliminary Studies
- Research Plan
- References (will not be included in the page limit)
- 1 year budget (use NIH form 2590) and biosketches (NIH format) for all key personnel
- IRB/IACUC approvals of the project may be pending at the time of the submission, but must be in place prior to awarding of funds.
2015 Scientific Retreat Highlights
The program features oral presentations for finalists in the Rolanette and Berdon Lawrence Bone Research Awards competition. An evening poster session provides an opportunity for investigators from across the Texas Medical Center to discuss current research.
Winners of the $45,000 Research Award:
- Karen Posey, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, "Novel model of adult-onset OA induced by targeted dysfunction of articular chondrocytes."
- Kyu Sang Joeng, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow, Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, "Identification of the function of WNT1 in bone homeostasis."
- Sanjay N. Mediwala, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, "Bone quality response to lifestyle intervention in older adults with diabetes."
Poster Award Winners:
- Zixue Jin, Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine, $750
- Francoise Coustry, Ph.D., University of Texas Science Center at Houston, $500
- Hahim Jain, MD, Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine, $750
- Marco Santoro, Graduate Student, Rice University, $500