Kathleen Rickman, DrPH, MS, RN, LCDC
Education & Training
- DrPH, U.T.-Houston Health Science Center School of Public Health, 1991-1996, Mental Health and Addictive Behaviors
- MSN, U.T.- Houston Health Science Center School of Nursing, 1989-1991, Psych/Mental Health/Addictions Nursing
- BSN Nursing, Boston College, Boston, MA, 1971-1973
- RN Nursing, Mercy Hospital School of Nursing, Charlotte, NC,1967
- Board of Nurse Examiners, Texas #550484, Advanced Nursing Practice Status
- Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse #3821, Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: CDC and UT School of Public Health 2000-2001
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases in a Drug and Alcohol Abusing Population 1999
- STDs in Substance Abusers: TCADA and UT School of Public Health 1999
- Relapse Factors in Past Participants of the Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses. 1996
- Evaluation of Determinants of Nursing Self Efficacy in Alcoholism and Other Drug Abuse 1996
- Screening for Alcohol and Other Drugs in a Student Health Clinic 1992
- “Factors Contributing to Long-Term Sobriety in Recovering Alcoholic Women." (Master’s Thesis) 1991
- Rickman, K. (2005). Alcoholism complicates cancer treatment. CancerWise. Featured article online at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; Cancer Newsline.
- Velasquez, M. et. al. (2003). Reducing the risk of alcohol-exposed pregnancies: A study of a motivational intervention in community settings. (The Project CHOICES Intervention Research Group). Pediatrics, 111(5) 1131-1135.
- Hwang, L.Y., Ross, M.W., Zack, C, Bull, L, Rickman, K, Holleman, M. (2000). Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections and associated risk factors among populations of drug abusers. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 31,920-926.
- Marcus, M.T., Rickman, K.A. & Sobhan, T. (1999) Substance Abuse Education Liaisons: A collaborative continuing education program for nurses in acute care settings. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
- Marcus, M.T., Rickman, K.A. (1998). Curriculum infusion module: Planning for alcohol and other drug abuse treatment for adults in the criminal justice system, TIPS #17. Austin, TX: Texas Addiction Technology Transfer Center, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment Improvement Protocol Series.
- Substance Abuse Manual for Nurses, (1997). Project S.A.E.L. University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center, Houston, Texas.
- Brown, S, Cohen, S., Kaeser, L, Levine, C., Littleton, L., Meininger, J, Otto, D, and Rickman, K. (1995). Nursing Perspective of Boyer’s Scholarship Paradigm. Nurse Educator, 20 (5), 26-30.
- Rickman, K. and Mackey, T. (1995). Screening for substance abuse in student health settings. Substance Abuse, 15 (4), 99-105.
- Patient and Family Educational Video and Accompanying Booklet: “The Truth about Addiction and Pain Medications”. Sponsored in part by Volunteer Endowment for Patient Support and Janssen Pharmaceuticals. May, 2003.
- 60 + presentations at the National, State and local level on topics related to substance abuse and psychiatric issues.
MD Anderson Resources
Free Caregiver Booklet
For a free copy of Caregivers: Facing the Challenge Together, call the Patient Education Office at 713-792-7128
Take advantage of our online services, including myMDAnderson, the personalized site that helps you manage your cancer treatment:
- Appointment schedules
- Secure messaging with your care team
- Patient education, billing, and more
Patient Care Essentials
Here are some things to consider before making an appointment.
Get prepared for your first visit to MD Anderson.
Learn how to cope with treatment side effects and resolve treatment-related issues.
Find support for patients, family and caregivers.
Cancer survivorship issues before, during and after treatment.