The Blood Bank High School Scholarship Program allows seniors the opportunity to raise awareness and educate the public about the importance of donating blood for our cancer patients through creating a media project. Each submission will be evaluated and scored by an independent committee, and points are awarded for creativity, content and persuasiveness. Your ideas will help us in our mission of Making Cancer History®.
Fifteen scholarships totaling $25,000 will be awarded to Houston-area high school seniors.
- Be a graduating senior (regardless of whether or not you donate blood)
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Plan to attend an institution of higher learning for following school year
- Complete an application
- Provide an unofficial copy of transcript
- Submit a project (see below)
- Send an email to email@example.com by Jan. 25, 2020 to let us know you are interested in applying (you will then receive a zip file of our logos)
- Submit a Video Media Project (No PowerPoint, Prezi, or PowToons presentations)
- Needs to educate and motivate individuals to donate blood for MD Anderson Cancer Center patients
- Film a commercial, video, song, documentary, or any other creative professional-grade media
- Each project will be evaluated and scored by an independent committee of MD Anderson employees outside of the Blood Bank
- Points will be awarded for creativity and persuasiveness
- Message will motivate the public to donate blood at MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Project is presented with quality sound and video
- Message highlights the importance of blood donations for MD Anderson cancer patients
- Presentation is innovative, original and creative
- Message provided accurate information
- Project cannot be longer than 2 minutes and must include a title page
- One entry per student
- School name cannot appear anywhere in the project. The project will be disqualified.
- If music is included in the project, please provide permission for use (no copyrighted material)
- Project must NOT be posted to any social media site
- Must complete media release and/or medical privacy (HIPAA) forms for all people involved in the video
- Must follow MD Anderson brand standards
If you would like feedback on your proposed project, please call 713-792-7788 and ask for a recruiter
- Be creative
- Promote MD Anderson
- Produce high quality video
- Represent MD Anderson with pride
- To see what MD Anderson's brand looks like in practice, visit our social media channels or this website
- Use of copyrighted materials is prohibited, which includes clip art and music
- Submit a low resolution video
- Include your name or school name in video
Please make sure you have all the required documents available to upload before you begin your application.
- Final video in standard format (API, MP4 or WMV) ready to upload
- Unofficial copy of your transcript
- Media release for everyone in the video, including yourself if you are in the video
- Completed HIPAA form if you use a patient in your video
We are no longer accepting submissions.
All submissions are due by April 6, 2020.
Due to our response to COVID-19, all blood donations at MD Anderson
Blood Donor Center locations are being held by appointment only.