Hosting Blood Drives for MD Anderson Blood Bank not only provides lifesaving blood for cancer patients, it helps your students become the leaders of tomorrow, today. The teamwork students perform before, during and after the blood drive teaches them life skills and the benefits of giving back on a personal level.
There are several ways your organization can participate with different reward levels.
Level 1: Host one drive during a school calendar year
- Blood drive program guide
- Custom marketing materials to help promote your blood drives
- Sign-up today blood drive banner (3' x 6')
- Recognition certificates for school, chairperson and student volunteers
- Donor T-shirt for each person who attempts and those who donate blood
- Special volunteer T-shirt and badge with lanyard for chairperson and working volunteer students
- Educational session on blood therapy and recruitment as it relates to cancer patients
- Students eligible to apply for scholarship
Level 2: Host two drives during a school calendar year
- Level 1 benefits
- Use of costumed blood drop mascot
- In-class lab for student blood-type determination/education
- MD Anderson Hospital tour
Level 3: Host three drives during a school calendar year
- Level 1 benefits
- Level 2 benefits
- Framed community service certificates for graduating volunteer students
- Custom banner with school name, mascot and hosting organization logo
- Recognition/honor cords for graduating seniors
- *Ask us about additional benefits available directly to the host organization
The Blood Bank High School Scholarship Program allows seniors the opportunity to raise awareness and educate the public about the importance of donating blood for our cancer patients. We will be accepting applications for projects to increase blood donations. Each project will be evaluated and scored by an independent committee, and points are awarded for creativity, content and persuasiveness. Your ideas will help us in our mission of Making Cancer History®.
Fourteen scholarships totaling $25,000 will be awarded to Houston-area high school seniors.
Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Be a graduating senior at a school that has hosted at least two MD Anderson Blood Bank blood drives in the current school calendar year (regardless of whether or not you donate)
- Plan to attend an institution of higher learning within a year following the scholarship award
- Be in overall good standing with school administration
- Submit a media project (details below)
1. One entry per student.
- Commercial, video, song or documentary
- Webpage, app or social media site (must not be made accessible to public)
- Any other creative professional-grade media
- NO Powerpoint or Prezi
The project must not include the name of the school the student attends or be posted to any social media site.