What is diversity?
Diversity at MD Anderson is not just important, it’s essential. While diversity is typically characterized as differences in race, gender and age, differences in education, thinking and communication styles, marital status and religious beliefs are also considered categories of diversity.
As the workplace becomes more diverse, we must take a closer look at our organizational culture in order to create a working environment that effectively attracts, retains, develops and utilizes all employees.
See below for a list of diversity initiatives.
Diversity Council is an institutional committee which develops strategies that attract and retain superior talent and assist MD Anderson in enhancing its diverse workforce that is in balance with the communities we serve. Diversity includes racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, gender, religious beliefs, as well as thought, skill and ambition.
MD Anderson employee networks serve as a vehicle to voice ideas, foster support systems and promote the professional development of diversity, e.g. race, gender, sexual orientation. Networks are open to all employees. We currently sponsor the following network groups:
- Organization for Women - The mission of the Organization for Women is to promote career growth, success and retention of women at MD Anderson. The Network identifies, examines and fosters work solutions that are important to women and that recognize the contributions of women.
- Organization for Multicultural Employees - The mission of the OME is to proactively influence the recruitment, development, retention and productivity of multicultural employees by providing leadership to strengthen and advance diversity throughout all levels of MD Anderson, fostering an employee-focused culture.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Network - The purpose of the LGBTN is to ensure that sexual orientation and gender identity are not barriers to full participation in the professional and academic workplace; to present recommendations for increasing awareness and tolerance of LGBT issues through the Diversity Council; and to foster a sense of community for LGBT employees.
- Cancer in the Workplace Employee Network - The Cancer in the Workplace Employee Network was established by employees who are interested in supporting and promoting an inclusive workplace. The network identifies the issues and concerns of our employees who are affected by cancer, focusing on our core values and mission.
- PeopleFirst Network - The purpose of the PeopleFirst Network is to promote a more inclusive work environment for individuals with disabilities and to educate all employees about individuals with disabilities in the workplace. Through education and advocacy, all employees will develop a greater understanding about hidden and overt disabilities that may impact individuals with disabilities in our workplace to be in alignment with MD Anderson’s core values.
- Military Veterans Connection (MVC) Employee Network - The mission of the Military Veterans Connection Employee Network is to foster awareness, understanding and appreciation of veterans, active duty and reserve employees, patients and students through interactions, dialogue, education and collaboration. The purpose of the MVC Employee Network is to recruit, develop, retain and provide resources for veterans, active duty and reserve employees, patients and students.
Multiple training courses are available to all employees.