MD Anderson's FIT Colorectal Cancer Screening Program is a colon cancer screening exam you can do at home. It is easy and it may save your life.
You may be able to get a free FIT test through this program if you:
- Have a low-income and no medical insurance
- Are between 45 and 75 years old
- Do not have any symptoms of colorectal cancer (rectal bleeding or blood in stool, persistent changes in bowel habits, unexplained weight loss)
- Do not have inflammatory bowel disease (acute diarrhea, colitis, diverticulitis, Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis)
If your FIT test result shows that you have blood in your stool, you will be offered a free colonoscopy. Contact the clinic to find out if you qualify to receive the free FIT colon cancer test.
- Elisa Furlan, Program Manager
What is FIT?
The fecal immunochemical test, or FIT, is a test you can do at home and the mail to the laboratory where it's checked for blood in the stool, a possible early sign of colorectal cancer.