Challenging and Rewarding Career Opportunities
The UT Police are always looking for career professionals to grow and advance with us. Listed below is information on Police Officer and Guard positions.
Position Descriptions and Benefits
Police Officer Positions
The UT Police Department offers an excellent career for Police Officers. Here are some of the many activities you'll be responsible for as a member of the UT Police:
- Patrol of areas owned, operated and leased by the University of Texas in the Texas Medical Center and throughout the Houston metropolitan area
- Responding to and investigating reports of criminal and suspicious activity
- Safeguarding 50,000 plus employees, student, staff, patients and visitors
- Overseeing 100,000 persons passing through the Texas Medical Center daily
- Protecting millions of dollars of public and private property
- Maintaining a pro-active approach to the prevention of crime
- Providing various police services to the university community
- Working in a dynamic environment that allows for advancement and growth
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Annual salary range for Police Officers is $46,400 to $69,600 depending on experience plus;
- $50 semi-monthly for Field Training Officers during active training of recruits
- $1,200 annually for Bilingual Police Officer (fluent Spanish with testing certification)
- $1,800 annually for Bachelor’s degree, $3,000 annually for Master’s degree, $3,300 annually for Juris Doctoral
- $1,200 annually for Intermediate certification
- $2,400 annually for Advanced certification
- $3,600 annually for Master’s certification
- 21 years of age on the date of commissioning
- Proportionate height and weight
- High school diploma/GED
- Written exam
- Physical Fitness Test (1.5 mile run, sit-ups, push-ups and flexibility test)
- Personal history package
- Check Criminal History and driver's license record
An applicant who failed any portion of the Physical Fitness Test can retest that portion within 1 week. If the applicant fails again, they are excluded from further consideration. The applicant may reapply again at a future date to begin the application process again.
- Background investigation
- Verification of education
- Review work history
- Review credit history
- Review of references and character
Oral Review Board (if vacancies exist, the candidates will be issued a conditional job offer upon successful completion of Phase 5)
- Physical Exam
- Psychological Assessment
- Eye Exam (visual acuity of no less than 20/100 correctable to 20/20)
Search for Police Officer positions now.
The UT Police Department offers an excellent career for Guards. The Guard position plays an integral role in providing customer service, assisting as a first responder and serving as additional eyes and ears for maintaining a safer environment. Here are some of the many activities you'll be responsible for as a member of the UT Police Department:
- Assignment on Day, Evening, or Night Shift
- Foot patrol of university owned and operated buildings
- Provides escorts of employees, students, visitors, and patients to parking facilities and university buildings
- Screens employees, students, patients, visitors and contractors at building entrances
- Handles, processes and secures found property
- Assists patients, visitors and contractors with directions and points of information
- Assists with first responders regarding fire alarms, building hazards and building evacuations
Annual salary range for Guards is $23,200 - $34,800. Search for Guard positions now.
Wanted - Women in Policing
If you have the courage and desire to work proactively in the community, the integrity to work honestly, and the intelligence and compassion to understand diverse situations and people, then you are wanted by the UT Police Department! The UT Police Department is a progressive campus police agency located in the Texas Medical Center area with additional property located throughout the Houston metropolitan area.
The UT Police Department has numerous opportunities for women who are committed to making law enforcement an exciting career. We recognize the important role women play in a modern police setting. Women bring a fresh approach to all areas of law enforcement including patrol, crime prevention and special assignments such as training and criminal investigations.
Excellent benefits are included which make it possible for women to successfully balance a fulfilling and exciting career in law enforcement with the responsibilities of a family;
- Family leave
- Sick leave
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Reward and incentive pay programs
- Opportunity to work various shifts
- Career advancement
- Excellent retirement program
For additional information, contact the UT Police Recruiting component at (713) 563-7791.
How to Apply for Openings
To join our dynamic group of law enforcement professionals, contact us at:
The University of Texas at Houston Police Department
1515 Holcombe - Unit 160
Houston, Texas 77030
The UT Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability or veteran status, except where such distinction is required by law.