Welcome, new BOV members
Advisory board adds community leaders from across the nationBy Sarah Watson
Since its inception in 1957, the MD Anderson Cancer Center Board of Visitors (BOV) has played a significant role in the institution’s mission to eradicate cancer by raising funds, awareness and support. The volunteer board welcomed 16 new members at its annual business meeting in October:
- Durga D. Agrawal, Ph.D., Houston
- Lee Barberito, Covington, La.
- George ‘Alex’ Bernhardt Sr., Lenoir, N.C.
- William R. ‘Bill’ Bush, Chicago, Ill.
- David A. Cockrell, Houston
- Alfred L. (‘Al’) Deaton III, Houston
- Rosalind (‘Roz’) Redfern Grover, Midland
- The Honorable Kay Bailey Hutchison, Dallas
- Jed R. Manocherian, New York, N.Y.
- Martha W. Murphy, El Dorado, Ark.
- Leslie Rainbolt-Forbes, M.D., Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Ashley S. Rankin, Dallas
- Robert C. Robbins, M.D., Houston
- Ida Clement ‘Weisie’ Steen, San Antonio
- Rabbi Alvin M. Sugarman, Ph.D., Atlanta, Ga.
- Sam L. Susser, Corpus Christi
“I’m proud to welcome this outstanding group of new members, each of whom brings a wealth of talent and expertise,” says BOV chair Harry Longwell, of Dallas. “BOV members serve as ambassadors in their home states and contribute immeasurably to the success of the institution’s initiatives.”
Durga D. Agrawal, Ph.D., P.E.
G. Alex Bernhardt, Sr.
William R. Bush
David A. Cockrell
Alfred L. Deaton III
Rosalind Redfern Grover
The Honorable Kay Bailey Hutchison
Former United States Senator
Martha W. Murphy
El Dorado, Ark.
Leslie Rainbolt-Forbes, M.D.
Oklahoma City, Okla.
Ashley S. Rankin
Robert C. Robbins, M.D.
Ida Clement Steen
San Antonio, Texas
Rabbi Alvin M. Sugarman, Ph.D.
Sam L. Susser
Corpus Christi, Texas
Not pictured: Jed R. Manocherian
New York City, N.Y.
BOV officers for Fiscal Year 2014 are:
- Chair ― Harry Longwell, Dallas
- Chair Elect ― Melvyn Klein, Corpus Christi
- Vice Chair ― James Mulva, Houston
- Immediate Past Chair ― Nancy Loeffler, San Antonio
- MD Anderson President ― Ron DePinho, M.D.
Make a difference
In This Issue
A Message From Ron DePinho, M.D.
Moon Shot Momentum
- Mills: Susan G. Komen's Brinker Award
- Allison: Accolades for Immunotherapy
- Mulvey: Lifetime Achievement Award
- AAAS Fellows
- Institute of Medicine
Philanthropy in Action
- A Conversation With a Living Legend®: Dallas
- A Conversation With a Living Legend®: San Antonio
- New BOV Members
- Palm Beach Gala