Lifestyle Tips to Prevent Cancer
Network - Winter 2012
These public health goals and recommendations from the World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research’s “Report on Food Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer, 2007,” were used in designing the clinical trial:
1. Be as lean as possible within the normal range of body weight.
2. Be physically active as part of everyday life. Be physically active for at least 30 minutes a day.
3. Limit consumption of energy-dense food and avoid sugary drinks.
4. Eat mostly foods of plant origin. Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and legumes, such as beans.
5. Limit intake of red meat and avoid processed meat.
6. Limit alcoholic drinks. If consumed at all, limit to two for men and one for women a day.
7. Limit consumption of salty food and food processed with salt.
8. Aim to meet nutritional needs through diet alone. Don’t use supplements to protect against cancer.