Network - Summer 2007
For the seventh year, the conference gives you the opportunity to sample some of the complementary and integrative programs offered at M. D. Anderson’s Place … of wellness.
Wellness workshops will take place Thursday afternoon, Sept. 6.
In addition, Friday, Sept. 7, Place … of wellness will provide relaxation chair massages, 1-5 p.m. The tradition of early morning tai chi, will continue on Friday and Saturday at 7 a.m.
- Awareness Through Movement: The Feldenkrais Method — Join Nancy Wozny, as she teaches you how, through movement, you can improve your capacity to function in your daily life and how your whole body cooperates in any movement.
- Making Music: The Health Benefits of Group Singing and Performing — Music has marshaled troupes, raised consciousness, accompanied human events throughout time and soothed babies in their mother’s arms. After a brief presentation of current research and history of music therapy, Michael Richardson, a board-certified music therapist, will encourage participants to participate with members of The Celebration Singers, a choral support group for cancer survivors. Previous musical experience is not required.
- Journaling: The Healing Power of Story — With Sandi Stromberg, M.A., discover the healing power of accessing stories from your life and writing about them in a non-critical atmosphere.
- Qigong (Chi Kung) — With Mike Powers, certified instructor, experience this ancient Chinese mind/body system of self-care using guided meditations, breathing exercises and gentle movements to promote deep relaxation, stress reduction and energy balance.
- Tai chi — With Mike Powers, experience a soft and gentle exercise of the mind and body through mindful awareness and continuous fluid movement. Two follow-up sessions will be conducted on Friday and Saturday mornings.
- Using Self-Hypnosis and Relaxation to Manage Cancer Stress — With Aida Molano, L.C.S.W., L.M.F.T., A.A.C., learn how self-hypnosis and progressive relaxation can help alleviate anxiety, sleep disturbances, fear, stress, pain and tension.
Network - Summer 2007
- Cancer Costs: Shedding Some Light on its Impact and Resources
- Survivorship Issues: New Tools for Assessing Symptom Distress
- People Profile: Processing and Philosophizing — A Recipe for One Patient's Survival
- Doctor Doctor: When Is an Emergency an Emergency?
- The Power of Hope: Living Fully With and Beyond Cancer Conference
- Briefs: Share Your Cancer Experience