Combined Therapies Show Promise in Small Cell Lung Cancer
Conquest - Spring 2010
Treating limited stage small cell lung cancer with a combination of accelerated high-dose radiation therapy and chemotherapy has shown encouraging results, opening the door to larger scale investigation.
“While still early, these may be the most important study findings for limited stage small cell lung cancer in the past decade,” says Ritsuko Komaki, M.D., professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology, program director of Lung Cancer Research and Thoracic Radiation Oncology and the study’s lead author. “This research is important because it achieved a high level of control of the disease while minimizing damage to the esophagus.”
Researchers at MD Anderson and their colleagues developed this new study to find a way to increase the level of radiation during concurrent chemotherapy without increasing damage to normal tissue.
This study has been adapted by a new randomized intergroup trial — including the Radiation Treatment Oncology Group and the Southwest Oncology Group, among others — that will enroll 700 patients in multiple sites across the country. This research will compare three radiation dose levels, fractionation and treatment duration times while they are getting the same concurrent chemotherapy.
Reported in November 2009 in an oral session at the annual meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology.
Conquest - Spring 2010
- Pathology: Investigating the Nature of Cancer
- What's in a Name? — New Logo Features Strike Through Cancer
- Found in Translation: SPORE Grants Turn Into Hope for Patients
- Transforming Cancer Care:
MD Anderson Launches Public Phase of Capital Campaign
- Supportive Care Center Helps Manage Symptoms Throughout Cancer Journey
- Enlightened Choices: Individualized Options for Prostate Cancer Patients
- Moving Forward: Kevin Olson
- Study Shifts Assessment of Certain Breast Cancer Patients
- An Advance for Multiple Myeloma Patients
- Team of Two Oncoproteins Crucial Step in Metastasis
- Blood Test May Detect Pancreatic Cancer
- Combined Therapies Show Promise in Small Cell Lung Cancer
- What Predicts Smoking Risk for Mexican-American Youth?
- Racial Disparities in Radiation Therapy for Early-Stage Breast Cancer