Baseball Great Aaron Latest 'Living Legend'
Conquest - Spring 2010
For two decades, an MD Anderson event has been the talk of the town.
The fundraising luncheon, A Conversation With a Living LegendSM, has continuously attracted larger-than-life personalities and overwhelming support for the institution. Since its inception in Dallas in 1990, the event has raised more than $11 million for cancer research and patient care programs.
Most recently, Dec. 3 at the Hilton Americas Hotel in Houston, Hall of Famer Hank Aaron shared personal stories from his 23-year Major League Baseball career. Former Houston Astro Jeff Bagwell introduced Aaron and CBS News reporter Bob Schieffer conducted the on-stage interview with the legend.
Former CNN chairman and CEO and MD Anderson Board of Visitors member Tom Johnson was emcee of the event, which raised $406,400.
A few months earlier, former first lady Laura Bush and veteran radio journalist Cokie Roberts took the stage at the 20th annual A Conversation With a Living Legend in Dallas. That event, held Sept. 18 at the Hilton Anatole, raised $961,961.
Aaron joined Sherry Lansing, Mary Matalin and James Carville as Houston Living Legends. Dallas event Living Legends have included such notables as Nolan Ryan, Tom Landry, Jack Nicklaus, Margaret Thatcher, Carol Burnett, President George H.W. Bush and Rudolph Giuliani. A Conversation With a Living Legend also has been held in Corpus Christi and Washington, D.C., and upcoming events are planned in Atlanta and San Antonio.
Conquest - Spring 2010
- Pathology: Investigating the Nature of Cancer
- What's in a Name? — New Logo Features Strike Through Cancer
- Found in Translation: SPORE Grants Turn Into Hope for Patients
- Transforming Cancer Care:
MD Anderson Launches Public Phase of Capital Campaign
- Supportive Care Center Helps Manage Symptoms Throughout Cancer Journey
- Enlightened Choices: Individualized Options for Prostate Cancer Patients
- Moving Forward: Kevin Olson
- Study Shifts Assessment of Certain Breast Cancer Patients
- An Advance for Multiple Myeloma Patients
- Team of Two Oncoproteins Crucial Step in Metastasis
- Blood Test May Detect Pancreatic Cancer
- Combined Therapies Show Promise in Small Cell Lung Cancer
- What Predicts Smoking Risk for Mexican-American Youth?
- Racial Disparities in Radiation Therapy for Early-Stage Breast Cancer