ICU Visitation Policy
The purpose of this policy is to create a safe, private environment for all patients, visitors, and employees at MD Anderson. It covers all employees (including faculty), volunteers, patients and visitors. This policy excludes pediatric patients.
Location: Main Building, Floor 7, Elevator F Get Directions
ICU Visitation Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; 8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
ICU Waiting Room Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Nurses Station Phone: (713) 792-1100
We encourage you to visit your loved one in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). We are working to provide the best possible intensive care unit and to protect the privacy of all our patients.
- Only two people at a time may visit the patient
- No cell phones are allowed in the ICU or ICU waiting area. Cell phones may be used on the level 7 bridge area.
- Please remain in your patient’s room or in the ICU waiting room
- Please do not linger at the nurse’s station
- No live plants or cut flowers are allowed
- You may be asked to leave the ICU at any time so we can provide complex patient care, perform procedures, or deal with emergencies.
ICU Overnight Stay Guidelines
Help us maintain a calm, comforting atmosphere for patients, families, and staff by following these rules:
- For your health, we encourage you to go home and rest in the evening
- Only one adult family member (18 years or older) is permitted to stay in a patient's room overnight
- Beds, linen, and bathing accommodations cannot be provided for family members
- Food and drinks are prohibited in ICU patient care areas and patient rooms
- Use the ICU waiting room for gathering and talking with others, rather than the hallways and nurses stations
- If you stay overnight, you may be asked to step out of the ICU during an emergency
- Please respect the personal property of individuals and MD Anderson property
- Please refrain from disruptive behavior, such as loud/inappropriate conversations or arguments
- Please notify your nurse of any suspicious activity
- MD Anderson is not responsible for personal items left in a patient’s room
- Please obtain approval from nurse before using any devices that require electrical power
- Please contact the nurse before entering a room marked 'isolation'
ICU Child Visitation Policy
Children under 13 are not allowed to visit the ICU. This is due to high risk of infection to patients and children, as well as the risk of significant emotional stress. Children may use the bridge area between G7 and P7, or visit the Child Visitation Room on the first floor.