Anderson Network Membership Reminders
Members of the Anderson Network can:
- Have personal contact with newly referred patients and/or caregivers while respecting confidentiality.
- Share new patient’s and/or caregiver’s experiences as a friend. Answer questions honestly using your own experience. Listen carefully to questions and statements to provide appropriate information.
- Be aware of your own feelings and responses to different personalities and patient/family/staff conflicts and remain neutral.
- Share information about hospital resources that you found helpful. Make appropriate referrals to departments, staff and other persons as indicated by patient’s and/or caregiver’s needs. Include your experience on the Patient Caregiver Support Line.
- Offer practical, accurate information about Houston and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Emphasize that The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is a caring institution committed to both the physical and emotional well being of its patients.
- Call the Anderson Network when you have concerns about any aspect of your phone conversation with the patient and/or caregiver.
- Provide information to the Network in order to evaluate and modify the program to make it more effective and efficient.
Members of the Anderson Network cannot:
- Recommend specific treatments, medical protocol or health care professional(s).
- Assume the role of professional counselor or medical expert.
- Impose personal values, religious beliefs, dietary practices, etc. on the patient and/or caregiver.
- Assume the burden for the patient and/or caregiver. Instead, refer him/her to the appropriate resource.
- Engage in legislative lobbying on behalf of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
- Be intentional in recruiting patients for The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center or any other specific organization, association, support program or institution.
- Be expected or required to do fund-raising for the institution.
- Promote personal business or distribute its promotional materials.