Useful Links and Resources
Below are some useful resources to help make your travel experience easier. However, MD Anderson does not endorse external sites.
- Country Calling Codes
- Cultural Centers
- Currency Exchange
- Getting Around MD Anderson
- Houston Newspapers
- Lodging - The Texas Medical Center is centrally located in Houston, and offers a wide variety of lodging options.
- Rotary House International - The Jesse H. Jones Rotary House International is a full-service hotel, owned by MD Anderson Cancer Center and managed by Marriott International.
- AeroMexico 800-237-6639 or 281-233-3400
- Air Canada 888-422-7533
- Air France 800-237-2747
- AirTran Airlines 800-247-8726
- Alaska Airlines 800-252-7522
- American Airlines 800-433-7300
- British Airways 800-247-9297
- Continental Airlines 800-523-3273
- Delta Air Lines 800-221-1212
- Emirates 800-777-3999
- Frontier 800-432-1359
- JetBlue Airways 800-538-2583
- KLM 800-447-4747
- Lufthansa 800-399-5838
- Qatar Airways 877-777-2827
- Singapore Airlines 800-742-3333
- Southwest Airlines 800-435-9792
- Taca 800-400-8222
- United 800-864-8331
- US Airways 800-428-4322
- Houston Airport System
- Bush Intercontinental Airport - Houston’s larger, international airport
- Hobby Airport – Houston’s smaller, domestic airport
Country Calling Codes – Determine what calling codes you need to make an international call.
- Houston Cultural and Community Resource Directory
- Czech Cultural Center
- India Culture Center
- Arab-American Cultural and Community Center
- Raindrop Turkish House
- Chinese Community Center
- Russian Cultural Center
- Jewish Community Center
- Bank of America - 1020 Holcolmbe Blvd., 713-790-1000
- Chase Bank - 712 Main Street, 1-888-242-7384
- Frost National Bank - 6624 Fannin Street, 713-388-7600
- Travelex - George Bush Intercontinental Airport - 3950 South Terminal Road - Gate E12
- Travelex - The Galleria Mall - 5085 Westheimer Rd
- Travelex - 10777 Westheimer, Suite 105
- Currency Exchange Calculator - American Express Currency Converter Calculator (This exchange calculator is provided as a reference and should not be used as a source for converting tangible funds being sent to MD Anderson. Patients should always consult their banking institution when paying internationally.)
- Transportation Security Administration – Everything you need to know about United States customs
- Federal Inspection Services (FIS) - customs information
- Navigate the MD Anderson campus - The wayfinding system is here to help you find your way at MD Anderson. campus.
- Parking at MD Anderson - When visiting MD Anderson, you have the option of valet, garage or remote parking.
- Online Virtual Tour of MD Anderson
- Houston Tourism – Plan your visit to Houston
- Houston Greeters - Houston Greeters offers you a unique insight into Houston through the eyes and hearts of our residents. Local volunteers act as hosts for two-to-four hour visits to the destination or for the activity of your choice.
- Citysearch Find reviews for Houston-area restaurants, bars, hotels, shopping, spas, events, etc.
- Local weather
- METRO Bus Schedule - Local service runs mostly on city streets, stopping at every other corner along its route. One-way fare is $1.25.
- METRORail - METRORail offers convenient accessible service within the heart of the city between downtown Houston and Reliant Park, including the Museum District and Texas Medical Center. One-way fare is $1.25.
- Texas Medical Center Shuttle
- Advantage Rent a Car 800-777-5524
- Alamo 888-826-6893
- Avis 800-230-4898
- Budget 800-527-0700
- Dollar Car Rental 866-434-2226
- Enterprise 800-593-0505 or 713-520-5558. Mention reference ID #06C2863 for patient discounts for Houston rentals only.
- Reservations can also be made through Patient Travel Services 1-888-848-9992.
- Hertz 800-654-3001
- National 888-826-6890
- Thrifty Car Rental 877-283-0898
- Fiesta Cab Company 713-225-2666
- Liberty Cab Company 713-695-6700
- Square Deal Cab Company 713-659-7236
- United Cab Company 713-699-0000
- Yellow Cab Company 713-236-1111
Approximate cab fares from George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)*
- Downtown $45
- Reliant Park Area $54
- Texas Medical Center $40
- Uptown/Galleria $45
- Greenway Plaza $50
Approximate cab fares from William P. Hobby Airport*
- Downtown $22
- Reliant Park Area $27
- Texas Medical Center $25
- Uptown/Galleria $45
- Greenway Plaza $32
*Above rates include up to four people per cab, and amounts are listed in U.S. dollars (USD).
- Supershuttle -provides transportation from Bush Intercontinental and Hobby airports to the Texas Medical Center and other central areas of Houston. Call 800-BLUE-VAN (800-258-3826) for information and reservations.
- METRO Airport Direct - With METRO’s Airport Direct, you’ll experience premium service between George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) Terminal C and downtown Houston, offering you comfort, convenience and connection.
- Limousine/Town Car - Professional limousine and town car service can be arranged by calling your International Patient Assistant.
- MD Anderson Patient Travel Services – Book your travel through MD Anderson Patient Travel Services and get access to special MD Anderson airline, lodging and transportation discounts and rates.
- MD Anderson Visa Information - The International Center at MD Anderson strongly recommends that you obtain a B1 or B2 visa in case there is a need to change or extend your stay, which is always possible
- Electronic Visa Application Forms
World Clock – Determine what time it is anywhere in the world
Contact the International Center
What to Expect
Our Global Culture
Meet Harihara Subramanian
Manager, Clinical Data Management Systems
Division of Cancer Medicine
From the friendly people to the cultural diversity this city boasts, everything in Houston reminds me of my home. Houston’s weather is similar, and the cost of living is just as affordable as in Chennai, India. Most people that visit me come here on a very tight schedule. As the home to the nation’s top space research organization, NASA, it is always easy for me to recommend to visitors the Johnson Space Center as my first choice. Then, go to the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences and the beautiful Butterfly Gardens. Now that the learning part is over, relax at the Galveston beaches, Moody Gardens and Kemah Boardwalk. My next recommendation would be to visit one of the beautiful Hindu temples in the country, Meenakshi temple, located in Pearland, Texas. On the way, I drive visitors through one of the world’s most highly recognized medical centers to show my work place, MD Anderson Cancer Center.