What to Expect
Here is a step-by-step overview of what your experience will be like in the Integrative Medicine Center:
- After your MD Anderson physician requests a consultation on your behalf, an appointment will be scheduled in the Integrative Medicine Center. Our physicians are board-certified oncologists.
- Please bring all medicines, herbs, supplements, vitamins, homeopathic remedies and other therapies that you are currently using or may use periodically as the clinical staff will review your medical information.
- We will explore your questions and concerns regarding integrative oncology and address them to the best of our knowledge. Consultation times range between 30 and 60 minutes; however, this time frame will depend on the complexity of your concerns. At times, we will have to research some of your concerns and discuss our findings on a follow-up visit.
- A follow-up visit may be recommended to see how you are progressing and to address any new questions or concerns.
- Individual therapies that may be suggested include oncology massage, nutritional advice, acupuncture, music therapy, and meditation.
- If between visits to the Integrative Medicine Center you need additional information or have questions or concerns, please contact us at 713-794-4700. If there is an emergency, please seek services from the nearest emergency room or contact your local emergency medical services provider (911).
In many areas of integrative medicine, knowledge is limited because definite answers are not always available. Integrative Medicine Center personnel will share with you what we know about the positive and negative aspects of various integrative medicine options.
As you attempt to navigate through this challenging journey of cancer care treatment, we will give you our professional viewpoint concerning your individual needs and current available information regarding treatment options. This will help you make more informed decisions.
For additional information on integrative medicine at MD Anderson:
Request an Appointment
The Integrative Medicine Center and its services are available to all current MD Anderson patients.
To request an appointment:
- Call 713-794-4700
- Ask your MD Anderson physician or nurse to submit an internal consult
- What to expect at your first appointment