Spinal Tumor Symptoms
Symptoms of spinal tumors vary from person to person, and by the type and location of the tumor. They are caused by pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots.
If a spinal tumor presses on the spinal cord it may cause:
- Back pain that gets worse with time, is not related to activity and is worse when you lie down
- Weakness that gets worse with time
- Loss of feeling in certain areas of the body
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
- Erectile dysfunction
If a spinal tumor presses against spinal nerve roots it can cause:
If pressure continues, muscles may waste away. Walking may become difficult.
These symptoms do not always mean you have a spinal tumor. However, it is important to discuss any symptoms with your doctor, since they may signal other health problems.
If you have been diagnosed with a spinal tumor, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- One of few centers in nation focused on malignant and benign spinal tumors
- Innovative spinal tumor treatments including proton therapy, stereotactic radiosurgery (GammaKnife®), targeted therapies
- Specialized neuropathologists and neuroradiologists
- Highly skilled surgeons perform most-advanced spinal tumor procedures
- Range of clinical trials of new treatments for spinal tumors