Spinal Tumors Prevention
Spinal Tumor Screening
Cancer screening exams are important medical tests done when you’re at risk but don’t have symptoms. They help find cancer at its earliest stage, when the chances for successful treatment are best.
Unfortunately, no standardized screening tests have been shown to improve spinal tumor outcomes. However, here at MD Anderson, we’re working to develop screening tests for those at risk.
Spinal Tumor Risk Factors
Anything that increases your chance of getting a spinal tumor is a risk factor. Little is known about what causes spinal tumors. It is known that certain disorders that run in families may increase your risk of brain tumors or spinal tumors. These include:
- Neurofibromatosis type 2
- Von Hippel-Lindau disease
- Immune system disorders may play a part in spinal cord lymphomas
Not everyone with risk factors gets spinal tumors. However, if you have risk factors, it’s a good idea to discuss them with your health care provider.
If you have been diagnosed with a spinal tumor, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Spinal Tumor Prevention
Research shows that many cancers can be prevented. Visit the Prevention section of our website to find out steps you can take to avoid cancer.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- One of few centers in nation focused on malignant and benign spinal tumors
- Innovative spinal tumor treatments including proton therapy, stereotactic radiosurgery (GammaKnife®), targeted therapies
- Specialized neuropathologists and neuroradiologists
- Highly skilled surgeons perform most-advanced spinal tumor procedures
- Range of clinical trials of new treatments for spinal tumors