Skull Base Tumor Diagnosis
MD Anderson’s Skull Base Tumor program has specialized, dedicated pathologists with extensive backgrounds in these complex tumors. This sets us apart from most other cancer centers. Our focus and expertise can make a difference in the success of your treatment. In addition, we have the most modern and accurate technology and equipment available to help pinpoint skull base tumors.
Early and accurate diagnosis of skull base tumors is important. This will help your doctors choose the best type of treatment for you.
Skull Base Tumor Diagnostic Tests
If you have symptoms that may signal a skull base tumor, your doctor will examine you and ask you questions about your health and symptoms. Our team of experts carefully chooses the tests that are best for each specific tumor.
One or more of the following tests may be used to find out if you have a skull base tumor and if it has spread.
Imaging tests, which may include:
- CT or CAT (computed axial tomography) scans
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scans
- PET (positron emission tomography) scans
Biopsy: One of these biopsy methods may be used:
- Fine-needle aspiration (FNA)
- Endoscope inserted through the nose and sinuses
Functional testing to find out how certain parts of the head and neck are working. These tests are chosen based on your symptoms and where the skull base tumor is. They may include:
- Hearing test (audiogram, auditory brainstem response (ABR)
- Vestibular tests (videonystagmography, rotary chair testing)
- Vision testing
- Videostroboscopy of vocal fold function
- Swallowing testing (modified barium swallow)
If you have been diagnosed with a skull base tumor, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- One of the few comprehensive skull base tumor programs in the nation
- Sophisticated operating room technology includes image guidance and surgical robotics
- Multi-specialty team approach to skull base tumor care
- Range of radiation treatments including radiosurgery (Gamma Knife®), focused radiation and proton therapy
- Specialized pathologists for accurate diagnosis of skull base tumors
- Range of clinical trials of new treatments for skull base tumors
Skull Base Tumor Knowledge Center
Getting A Second Opinion at MD Anderson
A correct diagnosis is critical to choosing appropriate treatment. The pathologists at MD Anderson are highly specialized in diagnosing and staging every type of skull base tumor.
Pathologists often have to base diagnosis of skull base tumors on very small pieces of tissue from biopsies. Because skull base tumors are complex and of many different types, correctly identifying the type of tumor may be difficult for pathologists who may see them only once or twice in a lifetime.
We welcome the opportunity to provide second opinions for skull base tumors.
If you would like to get a second opinion at MD Anderson, call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.