Myeloproliferative Disease Treatment
Our Treatment Approach
As one of the world’s most active centers for the care of myeloproliferative disease, MD Anderson has a level of experience and expertise that can make a profound difference in your treatment. Our experts design your personal care plan specifically for you, drawing upon the most advanced options with the least impact on your body.
We are at the forefront of developing new treatments for MPD, including innovative drugs to improve blood counts. As one of the nation’s leading MPD research programs, we are able to offer clinical trials of investigational agents, while most other cancer centers do not.
Myeloproliferative Disease Treatments
Myeloproliferative disease is often challenging to treat, and it may require years of therapy and follow-up care. Treatments for MPD generally are aimed at controlling disease symptoms, and your symptoms will help the doctor decide which treatment is best. Therapies may include one or more of the following.
- Medications: Aspirin, hydroxyurea, anagrelide and interferon-alpha are the main medications for essential thrombocytemia and polycythemia vera. Thalidomide, steroids and other hormones, and cladribine and busulfan also may be used.
- Blood or platelet transfusion
- Growth factors, which stimulate growth of bone marrow cells, are given as injections under the skin and may benefit patients with low blood cell counts.
- Radiation therapy
- Surgical removal of the spleen
If you have been diagnosed with, or your doctor thinks you might have, myeloproliferative disease, it is important to be evaluated by experts. We can help. Call 1-877-MDA-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- One of world’s largest myeloproliferative disease (MPD) programs
- Renowned MPD research program with multiple clinical trials of innovative treatments
- Worldwide leader in efforts to develop new agents for myeloproliferative disease
- Team approach to myeloproliferative disease treatment
- Accurate, precise diagnosis by specialized pathologists
- Long-term care for chronic diseases
Myeloproliferative Disease Knowledge Center
Our Myeloproliferative Disease Clinical Trials
As one of the world’s largest cancer research centers, MD Anderson is leading the investigation into new methods of diagnosis and treatment of myeloproliferative disease. While most cancer centers do not have clinical trials for MPD, we offer several research studies of innovative therapies.