Brain Tumor Prevention and Screening
Brain Tumor Screening
Cancer screening exams are important medical tests done when you’re at risk but don’t have symptoms. They help find cancer at its earliest stage, when the chances for successful treatment are highest.
Unfortunately, no standardized screening tests have been shown to improve brain tumor outcomes. However, here at MD Anderson, we’re working to develop screening tests for those at risk.
Brain Tumor Risk Factors
Anything that increases your chance of getting a brain tumor is a risk factor. While no definite risk factors have been found for brain tumors, some factors may put you at increased risk, including:
- Radiation exposure
- Family history of certain conditions including:
- Neurofibromatosis type 1 and type 2
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Von Hippel-Lindau disease
- Li-Fraumeni syndrome
- Immune system disorders, including AIDS and lymphoma
Research is ongoing into the causes and risk factors of brain tumors. Many possibilities are being studied, including genetics and environmental exposure to certain chemicals
If you have been diagnosed with a brain tumor, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Brain Tumor Prevention
Research shows that many cancers can be prevented. Visit the Prevention section of our website to find out steps you can take to avoid cancer.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Innovative brain tumor treatments including proton therapy, GammaKnife radiosurgery, targeted therapies
- Advanced surgical techniques to avoid damage to critical areas, including awake craniotomy and Brainsuite®
- Team approach to brain tumor care
- Specialized neuropathologists for pinpoint brain tumor diagnosis
- Range of clinical trials of investigative agents for brain tumors