Thyroid Cancer Survivorship Clinic
You are finished with your active cancer treatment and moving to the next phase of your life and next phase of your care. You may find life returns to what you knew before you had cancer. Or, you may find that physical, psychosocial or financial concerns continue because of cancer treatments. Patients often call this the "new normal."
MD Anderson’s Thyroid Cancer Survivorship Clinic can help develop a plan for your ongoing health care. You will receive care based on specific guidelines designed for survivors just like you who have been treated at MD Anderson. Our team works closely with specialized health care providers to monitor and manage late effects related to thyroid cancer and its therapies.
The clinic addresses your physical and psychosocial care. They:
- Review your recent medical history and perform a physical examination
- Conduct a complete assessment to detect cancer recurrence or progression
- Identify and help manage side effects of cancer and treatment
- Develop a treatment summary and follow-up care plan
- Provide education and referrals related to:
- Cancer screening examinations
- Health behaviors that reduce cancer risk
- Survivorship resources at MD Anderson or in the community
Side Effects & Symptoms
The survivorship clinic specializes in identifying and treating late side effects, which are symptoms that may appear months or years after treatment has ended. The physical changes will depend on your cancer type and treatment.
Side effects you may experience as a thyroid cancer survivor include:
- Increased risk for other cancers
- Heart problems
- Low bone mass
- Dry mouth and dental problems
- Voice and swallowing difficulties
Remember, it is important to communicate with your health care team through every stage of your cancer experience. Some survivors need more information and use more support services than others use, depending upon their diagnosis and treatment. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your health care team.
Contact your MD Anderson physician for referral to the Thyroid Cancer Survivorship Clinic.
Location: Cancer Prevention Building, Floor 2, near The Star Get Directions
- Mouhammed A. Habra, M.D., FACP, FACE
- Sherrie Flores, RNC, WHCNP-BC, ANP-C