NEW IN AUGUST 2011
Project SAFETY 2011: DVD & Teacher's Guide
The CD-ROM and the August 2011 DVD both employ the use the following elements to deliver information and engage students:
- Animated graphics
- Streaming video
- Three discrete lessons
- Optional activities
- Extensive glossary
The 85-page Teacher’s Guide complements the visual information , and contains:
- Lesson outlines and objectives
- Expanded activities appropriate for elementary, middle or high school grade levels
- Handouts designed for easy duplication
- A glossary
- Lesson content correlations with national and state standards
Correlations with Education Standards: The Teacher’s Guide correlates lesson content with the following national and state standards for health and science, with the 2011 DVD
- National Health Education Standards
- National Science Education Standards
- State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness (STAARTM)
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
Pre-and post-test results analysis conducted in 2002 demonstrated positive attitude and behavioral changes toward sun safety.
"Project S.A.F.E.T.Y. has been a huge success for my students and me. We live in the sunbelt and are part of a culture that still admires 'sun-tanned' skin...The 'ABCD' interactive activity was very effective in showing the many 'faces' of melanoma... Most students went from, 'I never wear sunscreen' to, 'I'll never step outside without wearing sunscreen!'"
-Emma Lovering-Hintze, Science Educator, Irons Jr. High School, Lubbock, TX
NOTE: Pages will open in a new browser window. MD Anderson does not endorse external sites.