How You Can Help
2014 Teen Volunteer Process
If you are seeking a volunteer position with a medical / cancer research experience, please look into the MD Anderson Summer Experience offered through the Department of Trainee and Alumni Affairs.
The Volunteer Services Teen Program is designed to train a select number of teens and provide them with a rewarding volunteer experience. Our goal is to instill a lifetime commitment to volunteerism. Training, communicating effectively, developing good customer service skills, and working alongside patients, caregivers, staff and adult volunteers are key components of our program.
Who is our teen volunteer:
- Compassionate and motivated
- Strong communicator
- Desire to help patients and caregivers
- 14-17 years old, attending high school in the fall 2014
- Some have had a personal or family experience with cancer
- Mature and responsible enough to handle their own volunteer commitment without their parent
Thank you for your interest in our teen programs. Each year we have many more teens interested in volunteering at MD Anderson than we are able to select for our programs. Teen positions are reviewed each year and openings in our programs are based on appropriate available positions vacated by our existing teen volunteers.
This year there are very limited openings in each of our programs: approximately 10-15 openings.
Daytime Summer Program: June-August, same day, same time each week,
8 a.m.-2 p.m.,12-4 p.m., 1 absence allowed
Evening Year-Round Program: June-May, same day, same time each week,
5-8:30 p.m., 4 absences allowed
Weekend Year-Round Program: June-May, same day, same time every weekend,
8 a.m.-12 p.m., 12-4 p.m., 4 absences allowed
2014 Teen Positions:
- Volunteer Services Gift Shop
- Coffee Cart
- Beauty/Barber Shop - daytime only. Work alongside staff cosmetologists in greeting patients and caregivers and getting the patient signed in and identify requested services. Converse with patients and caregivers during wait time. Assist with selection of wigs, turbans and hats. Assist with answering the telephone and with resource referrals. Assist with restocking of supplies and maintaining the shop’s appearance. May work with an adult volunteer as well.
- Beauty/Barber Shop - Hat Cart - evening only
- Patient/Family Library
- Volunteer staff support
Interested teens must complete the following steps:
- All interested students, not a parent, should email their name; age and the program which you are interested to email@example.com.
- Once registered, attend the Teen Information Session on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014 at 9 a.m. with only 1 parent. There will be NO alternate date.
- Complete the online application during the “open” timeframe. Date and time announced at information session. Teens must attend the information session in order for application to be considered.
- Attend the Individual Interview Session – tentative date: March 29, 2014.
- Notification of acceptance with your assignment will be emailed.
- Accept your assignment and training session by return email.
- Confirm with your assigned volunteer coordinator.
- If selected, attend one of the two-day mandatory training sessions:
Monday, June 10 and Wednesday, June 12, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Tuesday, June 11 and Thursday, June 13, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.