How You Can Help
What to Expect
Preparing for a Mammogram
- Appointments must be made in advance by calling (713) 745-4000. Walk-ins are not accepted.
- Bring original/prior mammogram films, if accessible, to your screening appointment. If a comparison is needed and prior films are not available, the final reading may be delayed.
- Wear a two-piece outfit with a button-down blouse if possible, no powder, lotion or perfume and only light deodorant on the underarm
- Plan for the mammogram to take 20 to 30 minutes
- You will be notified by mail of the mammography results. All results are confidential.
The Screening Process
You will enter the van through a reception area, where a brief breast-related history is taken and where you will be told about how your test results will be communicated. Then the technologist will call you into the mammo suite to begin the exam. After the mammogram, you will dress and return to the reception area. Literature about breast health, cancer prevention and general medical topics is available on the van.
All medical information and mammography results are strictly confidential. You will receive the mammography screening results in the mail within three weeks. A copy of the mammography report is faxed to your physician.
If you receive a letter stating that a follow-up test is needed, you have the option of seeing your personal physician, or coming to MD Anderson for additional evaluation.
Make a Donation
Help us support breast health for women in the Greater Houston area! Fill out our online donation form to provide continued funding for the Mobile Mammography Program.