There are numerous educational events that credentialed physicians, nurses and allied health personnel can participate in that are offered through MD Anderson and Physicians Network. Almost all of these educational events are approved for Continuing Medical Education (CME) and Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) credit.
Multidisciplinary Planning Conferences (MPCs)
Multidisciplinary Planning Conferences occur two or three times monthly, and we welcome your participation.
Purpose of MPCs
To facilitate clinical collaboration in the care of patients prospectively (ideally before treatment is initiated) at Physicians Network Affiliate Sites; and to discuss the multidisciplinary treatment options for those patients with MD Anderson faculty.
- Build and enhance relationships between Physicians Network credentialed physicians and MD Anderson faculty through scheduled educational forums.
- Impact the care of cancer patients being provided in the community through increased affiliate site physician interaction with MD Anderson faculty.
- Facilitate didactic discussion on current cancer issues and topics.
- Provide CME and CNE credit hours (one Category I AMA PRA CME credit) to Physicians Network credentialed physicians and 1.0 nursing contact hour for nurses who document their participation.
- The total transmission time for each MPC will be one hour.
- Each Certified Member Site will be asked to present clinical cases for the MPC.
- The Certified Member Sites will send the case(s) utilizing the PowerPoint template, de-identified case information and any other supporting documentation to the Physicians Network Program Manager, Provider Relations prior to each MPC according to the schedule.
- Each case submitted should include the pathology, diagnostic imaging, most recent H&P, and the most pertinent surgical, radiation, and chemotherapy or progress notes on PowerPoint slides. Additionally, diagnostic imaging slides can be transferred during videoconference, if desired.
- Attending Physicians Network credentialed providers and nurses will complete and return the CME or CNE verification and program evaluation forms to the Member Site Physicians Network liaison to receive their CME or CNE credit.
- Program evaluation forms and CME or CNE verification forms will be collected and forwarded to the Physicians Network Program Manager, Provider Relations.
Guideline Update Videoconferences
The MD Anderson Clinical Guidelines form the basis for the multidisciplinary treatment planning process. These guidelines are disease site and stage specific, evidence based with references and supported by expert opinion.
For disease sites where no MD Anderson clinical guidelines exist, National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines will be used.
The guideline update videoconferences are designed to educate the physicians and clinical staff at Physicians Network Affiliate sites on the latest changes and updates to the MD Anderson Clinical Guidelines. The expected outcome is that physicians will utilize these guidelines in their clinical practice as a resource in the treatment planning process for patients. Physicians who participate in these videoconferences are eligible to receive up to two Category I AMA PRA CME credits and nurses who document their participation will receive 1.0 nursing content hour of CNE. To view the MD Anderson Cancer Center Guidelines please click on the link below.
Annual Cancer Symposium
Join us for the Physicians Network Symposium to be held July 25-27, 2015 at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center-Washington, DC. The theme for this years symposium is Translating Molecular Biology into Individualized Cancer Treatment. In addition, an excellent two-day nursing program titled Capitol Ideas: Advocacy, Best Practice and Changing Cancer Care with be held July 25-26, 2015. Both promise to be an outstanding educational event. If you have any questions please contact Maureen Valenza, Program Manager-Provider Relations, email@example.com, 713-745-9761.
Review previous symposium programs below:
- First Annual Symposium Program (pdf)
- Second Annual Symposium Program (pdf)
- Third Annual Symposium Program (pdf)
- Fourth Annual Symposium Program (pdf)
- Fifth Annual Symposium Program (pdf)
MD Anderson Continuing Education Programs
Review additional continuing education opportunities available at MD Anderson Cancer Center for physicians, nurses and ancillary personnel.
Speaker’s Bureau Educational Series
Physicians Network has established a Speaker’s Bureau Educational Series. The Speaker’s Bureau draws upon expertise from MD Anderson faculty, staff and national experts. Its sole purpose is to provide credentialed physicians, nurses and allied health personnel information pertaining to timely and sometimes controversial topics in oncology.
Interventional Radiology: Impact on Care of Oncology Patients January 27, 2015