Second Opinion Pathology Services/Outside Consultation
Pathologists at MD Anderson Cancer Center are highly specialized in the diagnosis of neoplastic disease.
A second opinion surgical pathology case review is available to any attending physician or pathologist who submits pathology material for consultation. The submitted material will be reviewed by an in-house pathologist with expertise in that subspecialty. Very often, multiple pathologists in conference review the submitted materials. A written reply will be sent in each case.
We have experts in a wide range of cancer subspecialties, including:
- Head and neck
- Bone and soft tissue
The pathology department also operates several diagnostic facilities, including the Fine Needle Aspiration Clinic and specialized laboratories for image analysis, electron microscopy.
Many insurance carriers will reimburse the costs of second opinion consultations. If payment is a problem, we can work with you. Follow-up reviews are payable separately. Please remember that our service is for pathology second opinions only. We cannot discuss or recommend treatment options.
To Obtain a Consultation
- The attending physician may request the necessary materials from the outside hospital or laboratory.
- Pathologists requesting a second opinion may send the surgical material directly to us. The minimum charge for a consultation and report on referred slides prepared elsewhere is $263. Any additional testing that is necessary to render a diagnosis will be charged in addition to this fee.
- Physicians and pathologists can fill out our online consultation forms (linked below), or utilize https://my.mdanderson.org/ to create an account and submit information needed for consultation review. This link also provides a shipping label. Patients may also print out the forms for their physicians to complete.
Note: Forms will open in pdf format.
- Pathology Consultation Request
- Pathology Consultation - Domestic Patients Billing Information
- Pathology Consultation - International Patients Billing Information
Send the completed form(s), consultation fees, materials to be reviewed and a copy of the surgical pathology report to the address below (overnight delivery is preferred). A written reply will be submitted in every case.
MD Anderson Cancer Center
Outside Slide Consultation
Department of Pathology, Unit 85
1515 Holcombe Blvd.
Houston, Texas 77030