MDACC Summer Program Elevator Speech Finalists (L to R): Catherine Cage, Sapan Shahm, Emilyn Banfield, Shyam Popat, Samantha Holt, and Katrina Polivka
What's New in CPRTP?
The 2014 MD Anderson Summer Experience concluded on Friday, August 8th with the MD Anderson Summer Final Event: Poster Session and Elevator Speech Competition. 185 students from the following MD Anderson programs participated in the final event:
- Academic Affairs (including 1st yr Medical Students)
- High School Research Program - Smithville
- Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)
- The King Foundation program within the School of Health Professionals
- Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP)
Students formally presented a scientific poster of their summer research and six finalists competed in the elevator speech competition. Close to 20 registered contestants submitted videos to enter the competition, and the following six summer students were selected as finalists:
- Emilyn Banfield - Children's Healthy Eating
- Catherine Cage - LGBT Smoking Cessation
- Samantha Holt - Biomarkers for Lung Cancer *WINNER*
- Katrina Polivka - "Marketing" Cancer Prevention Behaviors
- Shyam Popat - Merlin and Malignant Mesothelioma
- Sapan Shah - Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation
The Best Speech and People's Choice winner of the elevator speech competition was our own Samantha Holt (CPRTP Summer Research Experience, College Student, Mentor: Dr. Samir Hanash, Clinical Cancer Prevention)! Congratulations to Samantha and the finalists!
- CPRTP Postdoc Appreciation Breakfast, Tuesday, September 16, 2014, Pickens Academic Tower, FCT3 Rooms 2 & 7, 8:30 to 10:00am. This event is in honor of National Postdoc Appreciation Week (September 15 - 19, 2014).
- Spring Research Experience begins Tuesday, January 6, 2015. Application deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Monday, October 20, 2014. Visit the spring program page for details.
- We are now accepting applications for the NCI R25T Predoctoral, NCI R25T Postdoctoral and Halliburton Postdoctoral fellowships in Cancer Prevention. Application deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Monday, December 15, 2014.Visit how to apply for details.
- DCPPS Trainee Forum, Thursday, November 20, 2014, Dan Duncan Building, CPB 8th Floor, Rooms 3 & 4, 4:00 to 6:00pm.
- Coming Soon!