Nursing Education Outreach
Nursing Education Outreach (NEO) serves the nursing community, locally and abroad, through seven primary services.
- The Nurse Oncology Education Program (NOEP) Annual Faculty Training Program: In collaboration with the NOEP, NEO offers an elected group of academic nursing faculty from across the State of Texas a week-long comprehensive education program including interactive didactic and clinical experiences individualized to meet each faculty participant’s goals and objectives. The purpose of this event is to educate faculty and promote integration of oncology content and concepts into their respective curriculum, as well as to provide ongoing resources to assist in implementation.
- CNE Events (Internal and External): Collaborating with multiple entities to provide CNE offerings throughout the year, the NEO staff actively participate as nurse planners and are directly involved in the planning process and oversee the implementation and evaluation of each event.
- Nurse Visitor Program: NEO is the primary contact for external nurse visitors to the institution. The Nurse Visitor Program offers observational learning experiences for nurses from around the world to broaden their oncology knowledge, practice and skill. Individualized educational programs are designed and coordinated to meet specific objectives. These objectives and goals are met through clinical observation in a variety of inpatient and outpatient settings, the sharing of information with clinicians, and actual patient care experiences.
- Mobile Education Program: NEO provides mobile education based upon specific customer requests in suburban communities state-wide with limited access to oncology education resources. Class sizes range from 20-25 participants per offering. Nursing leadership from hospitals outside the Houston area rely on the convenience of this resource as a way to educate their nurses and have requested return appointments by our ONS certified instructors until that goal is achieved.
- Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) Accredited Course: NEO offers the internationally recognized two-day ONS Chemotherapy Biotherapy course. Reviews from participant evaluations regarding these programs have been outstanding as this program is regarded as ‘highly informational, useful, necessary and relevant to everyday practice.’
- MD Anderson Radiation Oncology Course: NEO continues to offer a thorough one-day Radiation Oncology Course presented by MD Anderson's own nurse leaders in the field. Interest in this course has broadened to include live satellite audiences from facilities throughout the United States.
- NEO Nursing Education Specialist Presentations: Drawing upon their diverse expertise, our staff offers a wide variety of educational presentations. Serving as a resource, these presentations have been requested by our MD Anderson nursing colleagues as well as entities external to the institution.
For more information regarding NEO programs, courses and events, please contact us.
MD Anderson Cancer Center
Nursing Education Outreach – Unit 457
1515 Holcombe Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
Our StaffPatti Heitz
Nursing Education Specialist
Nursing Progress Notes