Music Therapy Internship
The Integrative Medicine Program at MD Anderson offers a National Roster Music Therapy Internship approved by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA). Following the Clinical Training Guidelines, Standards of Clinical Practice and Code of Ethics established by AMTA, our internship provides a variety of world class experiences in the field of medical music therapy
As one of 45 health institutions in the Texas Medical Center, MD Anderson serves as a teaching hospital for many disciplines. Internships are provided in medical and non-medical areas including students from the School of Public Health, University of Houston, and Texas A&M University. Opportunities to attend in-services, workshops, and grand rounds provided by international experts in their field occur daily. Texas Children's Hospital, Texas Institute for Rehabilitation, Shriner Orthopedic Hospital, and others are within a five minute walk from our main campus.
Learn more about Music Therapy at MD Anderson.
- Intern must provide documentation of a passing grade in the following areas: Musical Foundations, Clinical Foundation and Music Therapy in compliance with AMTA and NASM standards
- Intern must provide documentation confirming the completion of at least 100 hours of volunteer, employment, or practicum experience in a medical setting
- The internship period is 1040 hours or six months
- Interns are expected to conduct group and individual sessions with patients ranging in age from 0-100, whose primary diagnosis is cancer.
- All interns will have a final evaluation upon complete of the internship period
- Interns must provide their own liability insurance
- Interns will be responsible for their travel arrangements, as well as, arrangements of appropriate lodging and parking needs while participating in the program
How to Apply
Interested applicants must complete and return the Music Therapy Information form (doc) to Felicia Webber Stephens, Program Coordinator, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via U.S. mail at the following address:
Integrative Medicine Program
MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Blvd., Unit 462
Houston, Texas 77030
Attn: Felicia Stephens
Candidates will be contacted for a formal interview with the music therapy internship director and education manager. Once a candidate is selected, the music therapy internship director will notify them. Within a week of this notification, the intern will receive an electronic link to their e-mail account prompting them to complete the formal online application process.Once the application and all supporting documents are received, processing generally takes approximately 30 working days. Upon completion of the application approval process, a letter of appointment will be sent via e-mail to the intern with specific instructions regarding their start date and procedures for orientation for the first day of service.