News and Media
It was standing room only at the press conference held on the top floor of the Cancer Prevention Building at MD Anderson Cancer Center, May 15, 2008, as the institution was awarded $35 million dollars from the Duncan Family Foundation. The donation was the institution's largest gift to the cancer prevention program and the second largest gift in its 67-year history. The funds will be used to establish the Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment (See additional media coverage of the press conference.).
Prevention Is Focus of Landmark Gift, Promise
"Dan Duncan said 'With these additional resources, the doctors, researchers, administrators and employees of MD Anderson are poised to extend the institution's tradition of innovative advances to the field of prevention, hopefully sparing future generations the ordeal of cancer treatments."
Landmark Gift Bolsters Prevention Efforts, CancerWise
"Establishment of the Duncan Family Institute will enable MD Anderson to study more fully the incidence and possible causes of cancer in medically underserved and minority communities, specifically cancer-related, behavioral and genetic risk factors."
Dan L. Duncan Family Takes Aim at Cancer Before it Starts, Conquest
"With a deep, personal commitment to cancer prevention and risk assessment, the Dan Duncan family has given MD Anderson the largest gift ever received for its cancer prevention program and the second-largest gift in the institution’s 67-year history."
Duncan Family Institute Press Conference - Media Coverage
Print and Online Coverage
- Houston Chronicle - News story "$35 million gift boosts cancer fight” picked up on 05/15/08 appeared in Chron.com and Red Orbit
- Houston Business Journal - Wire story “Duncan family gives $35M to MD Anderson” picked up 05/16/08
- Chronicle of Higher Education story appeared on 06/13/08
- Texas Medical Center News - "MD Anderson Receives $35 Million for Cancer Prevention" 06/01/08
- Business Week - "$35 Million Donation Establishes the Dan Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment at MD Anderson Cancer Center"
- Foundation Center - "The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has announced a $35 million grant from the Houston-based Dan L. Duncan Family Foundation to establish the Dan Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment"
KRIV-TV (FOX) Houston (two news stories)
KPRC-TV (NBC) Houston (six news stories)
Texas Cable News Dallas/Ft Worth (five news stories)
KHOU-TV (CBS) Houston
KTRK-TV (ABC) Houston (two news stories)
KUHF-FM (NPR/APR) Houston
Mentored Junior Faculty Fellowship
Applications are being accepted for the Duncan Family Institute Mentored Junior Faculty Fellowship in Cancer Prevention Research.
Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences Faculty in the News
- MD Anderson study reveals new insight into DNA repair - Guang Peng, M.D., Ph.D.
- 1 in 3 colon cancers in young people has genetic link - Eduardo Vilar-Sanchez, M.D., Ph.D.
- Study reveals that women who sit too much have increased risk of cancer - Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Cancer prevention as our first best hope: Action in prevention research and cancer control - Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.