News and Media
It was standing room only at the press conference held on the top floor of the Cancer Prevention Building at MD Anderson Cancer Center, May 15, 2008, as the institution was awarded $35 million dollars from the Duncan Family Foundation. The donation was the institution's largest gift to the cancer prevention program and the second largest gift in its 67-year history. The funds will be used to establish the Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment (See additional media coverage of the press conference.).
Prevention Is Focus of Landmark Gift, Promise
"Dan Duncan said 'With these additional resources, the doctors, researchers, administrators and employees of MD Anderson are poised to extend the institution's tradition of innovative advances to the field of prevention, hopefully sparing future generations the ordeal of cancer treatments."
Landmark Gift Bolsters Prevention Efforts, CancerWise
"Establishment of the Duncan Family Institute will enable MD Anderson to study more fully the incidence and possible causes of cancer in medically underserved and minority communities, specifically cancer-related, behavioral and genetic risk factors."
Targeting Cancer Before It Starts, Promise
"At a press conference in MD Anderson's Cancer Prevention Building, Jan Duncan expressed her family's strong and deeply personal desire to see the disease prevented."
Dan L. Duncan Family Takes Aim at Cancer Before it Starts, Conquest
"With a deep, personal commitment to cancer prevention and risk assessment, the Dan Duncan family has given MD Anderson the largest gift ever received for its cancer prevention program and the second-largest gift in the institution’s 67-year history."
Duncan Family Institute Press Conference - Media Coverage
Print and Online Coverage
- Houston Chronicle - News story "$35 million gift boosts cancer fight” picked up on 05/15/08 appeared in Chron.com and Red Orbit
- Houston Business Journal - Wire story “Duncan family gives $35M to MD Anderson” picked up 05/16/08
- Chronicle of Higher Education story appeared on 06/13/08
- Texas Medical Center News - "MD Anderson Receives $35 Million for Cancer Prevention" 06/01/08
- Business Week - "$35 Million Donation Establishes the Dan Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment at MD Anderson Cancer Center"
- Foundation Center - "The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has announced a $35 million grant from the Houston-based Dan L. Duncan Family Foundation to establish the Dan Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment"
KRIV-TV (FOX) Houston (two news stories)
KPRC-TV (NBC) Houston (six news stories)
Texas Cable News Dallas/Ft Worth (five news stories)
KHOU-TV (CBS) Houston
KTRK-TV (ABC) Houston (two news stories)
KUHF-FM (NPR/APR) Houston
Institute Faculty in the News
- Smoking and tobacco-cessation campaign to be launched by Texas and Mexico institutions Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- Current breast cancer screening guidelines may lead to more missed cases Therese Bevers, M.D.
- Black patients fare worse with kidney cancer: study Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- Researchers find evidence of 'chemo brain' Jeffrey Wefel, Ph.D.