Institute Faculty in the News - FY13
- 8/29/2013 How exercise can help you ward off cancer CBS News Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 8/27/2013 Cancer prevention guidelines for all ages Cypress Creek Mirror Therese Bevers, M.D
- 8/16/2013 Intervention delivered through mobile phones to HIV/AIDS-positive smokers increased cessation rates News-Medical.Net Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 8/16/2013MD Anderson Center smoking cessation experts weigh in on safety and gateway potential, of E-Cigarettes Texas Biotech News Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D., Paul Cinciripini, Ph.D.
- 8/16/2013 E-cigarettes could significantly cut tobacco use: Study CNBC Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D.
- 8/12/2013 Smartphone app to help teens quit smoking The Times of India Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D.
- 8/9/2013 Tackling obesity: A strategy for reducing cancer risk and improving survivorship OncologyNurseAdvisor Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 7/29/2013 New recommendation: Older, heavy smokers should get annual CT scans, but who will pay? NPR Therese Bevers, M.D
- 7/292013 USPSTF: Screen high-risk smokers for lung cancer MedPage Today Therese Bevers, M.D
- 7/29/2013 UT researchers develop 3D computer technology to create breast reconstruction images after surgery BioNews Texas Michelle Cororve Fingeret, Ph.D.
- 7/24/2013 MD Anderson hits the road for cool Colorado Houston Chronicle Samir Hanash, M.D., Ph.D
- 7/23/2013 MD Anderson ramps it up in Aspen with three gatherings for supporters CultureMap Samir Hanash, M.D., Ph.D.
- 7/9/2013 Accessibility to fast food eateries linked to black obesity: Study Austin Weekly News Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 7/4/2013 Are women meeting cancer-prevention recommendations? Not really. Oncology Nurse Advisor Jennifer Irvin Vidrine Ph.D.
- 7/1/2013 Assay development driving personalized medicine Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News Samir Hanash, M.D., Ph.D.
- 6/25/2013 Sex and cancer - Breaking the taboo ABC News Leslie Schover, Ph.D.
- 6/20/213 The stigma of male breast cancer: Yes, men get it too! Saludify Sharon Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
- 6/14/2013 Higgins: Join Komen Race for the Cure, help defeat breast cancer Houston Chronicle Linda Elting, Dr. P.H.
- 6/13/2013 Tamoxifen: gene test may predict fenefit MedPage Today Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 6/13/2013 New survey reveals how women view diet and exercise in relationship to cancer News-Medical.Net Jennifer Irvin Vidrine Ph.D.
- 6/10/2013 Innovator award won by Kenneth Tsai, M.D., Ph.D., for plan to map molecular path to skin cancer The ASCO Post Guang Peng, M.D., Ph.D.
- 6/10/2013 BMI and fast food: an interview with Dr Lorraine Reitzel, Assistant Professor, Department of Health Disparities Research at MD Anderson News-Medical.Net Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 6/2/2013 Cancer's big questions Delta Sky Magazine Therese Bevers, M.D.
6/2/2013 The impact of Pink: Komen honors Houstonians working to end breast cancer CultureMap Linda Elting, Dr. P.H.
- 5/29/2013 Insurers resist covering BRCA1 breast cancer test; MD Anderson experts admit issue is complex BioNews Texas Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/28/2013 Coverage gaps can hamper access to some breast cancer screening, care The Philadelphia Inquirer Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/27/2013 If you want the tests Angelina Jolie had, you may have to pay The Washington Post Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/23/2013 Fast-food restaurant proximity linked to higher BMI in African-Americans Atlanta Blackstar Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/22/2013 Fast food distance linked to high BMI among African Americans Medill Northwestern Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/22/2013 MD Anderson Cancer Center gets to the bottom of obesity’s role in cancer BioNews Texas Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 5/22/2013 Obesity directly tied to several cancers News Medical Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 5/17/2013 Houston study examines one race for links between obesity, proximity to fast food Houston Chronicle Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/17/2013 Does living near fast food restaurants increase your risk of obesity? The Atlantic Cities Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/17/2013 BMI, fast food restaurant proximity linked in new study Huffington Post Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/16/2013 Study: Living near fast food ups risk of obesity The Daily Beast Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/16/2013 Living near fast-food outlets might boost obesity risk HealthDay Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/15/2013 Angelina Jolie's news: Docs talk about breast cancer National Geographic Daily News Powel Brown, M.D., Ph.D.
- 5/14/2013 Houston doctor talks mastectomy options Click2Houston.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/7/2013All hands on deck: (some) reflections and ameliorating global health disparities in the 21st century Huffington Post Lovell Jones, Ph.D.
- 5/6/2013 MD Anderson oncologist leads program to study delivery, quality and cost of health care The Vindicator Sharon Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
- 4/19/2013 Young women rejecting mammogram guidelines, new rates suggest Huffington Post Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 4/18/2013 Low bilirubin levels increased lung cancer risk in male smokers HemOnc Today Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 4/9/2013 Can selenium cut risk of advanced prostate cancer? WebMD Elise Cook M.D.
- 4/9/2013 Old biomarker may have new role in lung cancer Medpage Today Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 4/9/2013 Some skin cancer survivors still use tanning beds Time Mary Tripp, Ph.D. M.P.H.
- 4/3/2013 Most doctors don't help lung cancer patients quit smoking: survey Health Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 3/30/2013 Looking good helps women cancer patients feel better, gives more confidence to cope with disease News Medical Michelle Cororve Fingeret, Ph.D.
- 3/28/2013 Many doctors do not provide tobacco cessation assistance to lung cancer patients The ASCO Post Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 3/28/2013 Researchers find anti-smoking drug improves smokers’ chances of quitting red Orbit Paul Cinciripini, Ph.D.
- 3/28/2013 Many doctors do not provide tobacco cessation assistance to lung cancer patients Medical Xpress Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 3/27/2013 Understanding the role of self-image in cancer recovery National Cancer Institute Michelle Cororve Fingeret, Ph.D.
- 3/26/2013 Bladder cancer risk linked to genetic alterations News-Medical.net Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 3/11/2013 Endometrial cancer survivors more likely to complete physical activity News Medical Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 3/7/2013 MicroRNAs may define advance of Barrett's Esophagus JAAPA Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 3/7/2013 Coping with burnout? Tips on handling this occupational hazard OncLive Warren Holleman, Ph.D.
- 2/25/2013 Because male breast cancer is rare, many cases aren’t caught till later stages Washington Post Sharon Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
- 2/20/2013 What group gets cervical cancer twice as often? YAHOO! News David Wetter, Ph.D.
- 2/13/213 Who pays the highest price when it comes to breast cancer? YAHOO! News David Wetter, Ph.D.
- 2/11/2013 Have cancer but no insurance? No problem—You can pay with your life YAHOO! News David Wetter, Ph.D
- 2/5/2013 African-Americans still more likely to die from cancer Reuters David Wetter, Ph.D.
- 1/30/2013 Which cancer screenings should you get, avoid? click2houston.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 1/28/2013 Prevention guidelines stoke clinical conflict amednews.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 1/17/2013 Huge win in the war against cancer NBCNews.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 12/17/2012 Inherited colon cancer risk tied to certain foods Reuters Mala Pande, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 12/14/2012 Fewer health care options for illegal immigrants YAHOO! News Lewis Foxhall, M.D.
- 12/7/2012 Kidney cancer survival rates: an interview with Dr. Wong-Ho Chow News-medical.net Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 12/5/2012 Six simple steps to quit smoking for good Bay Area The Citizen Paul Cinciripini, Ph.D.
- 12/1/2012 Later life sex Monitor on Psychology Leslie Schover, Ph.D.
- 11/30/2012 Smoking and tobacco-cessation campaign to be launched by Texas and Mexico institutions News-Medical.net Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 11/28/2012 Gen Y staying healthy this holiday season Women'sRadio.com Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 11/27/2012 Researchers find evidence of 'chemo brain' NBC Nightly News Jeffrey Wefel, Ph.D.
- 11/27/2012 Current breast cancer screening screening guidelines may lead to more missed cases CBS News Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 11/27/2012 More cancers may be missed under latest mammogram guidelines US News and World Report Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 11/16/2012 Distressing news in study of blacks with kidney cancer Chron.com Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 11/13/2012 Where cancer prevention must start Huffington Post Shine Chang, Ph.D., Carrie Cameron, Ph.D.
- 11/13/2012 Black kidney cancer patients have high fatality rate Private MD News Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 11/13/2012 Black patients fare worse with kidney cancer: study Reuters.com Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 11/12/2012 White kidney cancer patients have a survival advantage over blacks News-medical.net Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 10/28/2012 Obesity-one of the risk factors for chronic myelogenous leukemia FoodConsumer.com Sara Strom, Ph.D.
- 10/26/2012 Expose and exercise: Save the date for these fun useful events Chron.com Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/22/2012 Vitamins modestly lower cancer risk in men, researchers find VancouverSun.com Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/19/2012 Study identifies new risk factors for bladder cancer Psychiatric Times Meng Chen, Ph.D.
- 10/18/2012 Depression, DNA linked to higher death risk in bladder cancer patients Medicinenet.com Meng Chen, Ph.D.
- 10/18/2012 Depression, shortened telomeres increase mortality in bladder cancer patients Science Codex Meng Chen, Ph.D
- 1018/2012 Can this bra detect cancer? Shape.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/18/2012 Can this bra detect cancer? Style.time.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/17/2012 Study: Multivitamins may lower cancer risk in men Associated Press Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/17/2012 Multivitamins may prevent cancer in men CNN Health Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/14/2012 What to expect during your first mammogram Conditions Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/10/2012 HealthTalk with Therese Bevers: Best tips for breast health Everyday Health Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/6/2012 6 Answers about mammograms and breast cancer ABC News Therese Bevers, M.D.
Anna Wilkinson, Ph.D.
- "Susceptibility Predicts Smoking Risk among Mexican-American Youth"
- "Movies Promote Smoking Among Mexican-American Adolescents"
Patricia Miranda, Ph.D.