Institute Faculty in the News - FY13
- 8/29/2013 How exercise can help you ward off cancer CBS News Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 8/27/2013 Cancer prevention guidelines for all ages Cypress Creek Mirror Therese Bevers, M.D
- 8/16/2013 Intervention delivered through mobile phones to HIV/AIDS-positive smokers increased cessation rates News-Medical.Net Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 8/16/2013MD Anderson Center smoking cessation experts weigh in on safety and gateway potential, of E-Cigarettes Texas Biotech News Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D., Paul Cinciripini, Ph.D.
- 8/16/2013 E-cigarettes could significantly cut tobacco use: Study CNBC Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D.
- 8/12/2013 Smartphone app to help teens quit smoking The Times of India Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D.
- 8/9/2013 Tackling obesity: A strategy for reducing cancer risk and improving survivorship OncologyNurseAdvisor Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 7/29/2013 New recommendation: Older, heavy smokers should get annual CT scans, but who will pay? NPR Therese Bevers, M.D
- 7/292013 USPSTF: Screen high-risk smokers for lung cancer MedPage Today Therese Bevers, M.D
- 7/29/2013 UT researchers develop 3D computer technology to create breast reconstruction images after surgery BioNews Texas Michelle Cororve Fingeret, Ph.D.
- 7/24/2013 MD Anderson hits the road for cool Colorado Houston Chronicle Samir Hanash, M.D., Ph.D
- 7/23/2013 MD Anderson ramps it up in Aspen with three gatherings for supporters CultureMap Samir Hanash, M.D., Ph.D.
- 7/9/2013 Accessibility to fast food eateries linked to black obesity: Study Austin Weekly News Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 7/4/2013 Are women meeting cancer-prevention recommendations? Not really. Oncology Nurse Advisor Jennifer Irvin Vidrine Ph.D.
- 7/1/2013 Assay development driving personalized medicine Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News Samir Hanash, M.D., Ph.D.
- 6/25/2013 Sex and cancer - Breaking the taboo ABC News Leslie Schover, Ph.D.
- 6/20/213 The stigma of male breast cancer: Yes, men get it too! Saludify Sharon Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
- 6/14/2013 Higgins: Join Komen Race for the Cure, help defeat breast cancer Houston Chronicle Linda Elting, Dr. P.H.
- 6/13/2013 Tamoxifen: gene test may predict fenefit MedPage Today Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 6/13/2013 New survey reveals how women view diet and exercise in relationship to cancer News-Medical.Net Jennifer Irvin Vidrine Ph.D.
- 6/10/2013 Innovator award won by Kenneth Tsai, M.D., Ph.D., for plan to map molecular path to skin cancer The ASCO Post Guang Peng, M.D., Ph.D.
- 6/10/2013 BMI and fast food: an interview with Dr Lorraine Reitzel, Assistant Professor, Department of Health Disparities Research at MD Anderson News-Medical.Net Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 6/2/2013 Cancer's big questions Delta Sky Magazine Therese Bevers, M.D.
6/2/2013 The impact of Pink: Komen honors Houstonians working to end breast cancer CultureMap Linda Elting, Dr. P.H.
- 5/29/2013 Insurers resist covering BRCA1 breast cancer test; MD Anderson experts admit issue is complex BioNews Texas Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/28/2013 Coverage gaps can hamper access to some breast cancer screening, care The Philadelphia Inquirer Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/27/2013 If you want the tests Angelina Jolie had, you may have to pay The Washington Post Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/23/2013 Fast-food restaurant proximity linked to higher BMI in African-Americans Atlanta Blackstar Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/22/2013 Fast food distance linked to high BMI among African Americans Medill Northwestern Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/22/2013 MD Anderson Cancer Center gets to the bottom of obesity’s role in cancer BioNews Texas Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 5/22/2013 Obesity directly tied to several cancers News Medical Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 5/17/2013 Houston study examines one race for links between obesity, proximity to fast food Houston Chronicle Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/17/2013 Does living near fast food restaurants increase your risk of obesity? The Atlantic Cities Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/17/2013 BMI, fast food restaurant proximity linked in new study Huffington Post Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/16/2013 Study: Living near fast food ups risk of obesity The Daily Beast Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/16/2013 Living near fast-food outlets might boost obesity risk HealthDay Lorraine Reitzel, Ph.D.
- 5/15/2013 Angelina Jolie's news: Docs talk about breast cancer National Geographic Daily News Powel Brown, M.D., Ph.D.
- 5/14/2013 Houston doctor talks mastectomy options Click2Houston.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 5/7/2013All hands on deck: (some) reflections and ameliorating global health disparities in the 21st century Huffington Post Lovell Jones, Ph.D.
- 5/6/2013 MD Anderson oncologist leads program to study delivery, quality and cost of health care The Vindicator Sharon Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
- 4/19/2013 Young women rejecting mammogram guidelines, new rates suggest Huffington Post Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 4/18/2013 Low bilirubin levels increased lung cancer risk in male smokers HemOnc Today Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 4/9/2013 Can selenium cut risk of advanced prostate cancer? WebMD Elise Cook M.D.
- 4/9/2013 Old biomarker may have new role in lung cancer Medpage Today Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 4/9/2013 Some skin cancer survivors still use tanning beds Time Mary Tripp, Ph.D. M.P.H.
- 4/3/2013 Most doctors don't help lung cancer patients quit smoking: survey Health Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 3/30/2013 Looking good helps women cancer patients feel better, gives more confidence to cope with disease News Medical Michelle Cororve Fingeret, Ph.D.
- 3/28/2013 Many doctors do not provide tobacco cessation assistance to lung cancer patients The ASCO Post Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 3/28/2013 Researchers find anti-smoking drug improves smokers’ chances of quitting red Orbit Paul Cinciripini, Ph.D.
- 3/28/2013 Many doctors do not provide tobacco cessation assistance to lung cancer patients Medical Xpress Ellen Gritz, Ph.D.
- 3/27/2013 Understanding the role of self-image in cancer recovery National Cancer Institute Michelle Cororve Fingeret, Ph.D.
- 3/26/2013 Bladder cancer risk linked to genetic alterations News-Medical.net Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 3/11/2013 Endometrial cancer survivors more likely to complete physical activity News Medical Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 3/7/2013 MicroRNAs may define advance of Barrett's Esophagus JAAPA Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
- 3/7/2013 Coping with burnout? Tips on handling this occupational hazard OncLive Warren Holleman, Ph.D.
- 2/25/2013 Because male breast cancer is rare, many cases aren’t caught till later stages Washington Post Sharon Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
- 2/20/2013 What group gets cervical cancer twice as often? YAHOO! News David Wetter, Ph.D.
- 2/13/213 Who pays the highest price when it comes to breast cancer? YAHOO! News David Wetter, Ph.D.
- 2/11/2013 Have cancer but no insurance? No problem—You can pay with your life YAHOO! News David Wetter, Ph.D
- 2/5/2013 African-Americans still more likely to die from cancer Reuters David Wetter, Ph.D.
- 1/30/2013 Which cancer screenings should you get, avoid? click2houston.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 1/28/2013 Prevention guidelines stoke clinical conflict amednews.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 1/17/2013 Huge win in the war against cancer NBCNews.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 12/17/2012 Inherited colon cancer risk tied to certain foods Reuters Mala Pande, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 12/14/2012 Fewer health care options for illegal immigrants YAHOO! News Lewis Foxhall, M.D.
- 12/7/2012 Kidney cancer survival rates: an interview with Dr. Wong-Ho Chow News-medical.net Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 12/5/2012 Six simple steps to quit smoking for good Bay Area The Citizen Paul Cinciripini, Ph.D.
- 12/1/2012 Later life sex Monitor on Psychology Leslie Schover, Ph.D.
- 11/30/2012 Smoking and tobacco-cessation campaign to be launched by Texas and Mexico institutions News-Medical.net Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 11/28/2012 Gen Y staying healthy this holiday season Women'sRadio.com Karen Basen-Engquist, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 11/27/2012 Researchers find evidence of 'chemo brain' NBC Nightly News Jeffrey Wefel, Ph.D.
- 11/27/2012 Current breast cancer screening screening guidelines may lead to more missed cases CBS News Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 11/27/2012 More cancers may be missed under latest mammogram guidelines US News and World Report Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 11/16/2012 Distressing news in study of blacks with kidney cancer Chron.com Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 11/13/2012 Where cancer prevention must start Huffington Post Shine Chang, Ph.D., Carrie Cameron, Ph.D.
- 11/13/2012 Black kidney cancer patients have high fatality rate Private MD News Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 11/13/2012 Black patients fare worse with kidney cancer: study Reuters.com Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 11/12/2012 White kidney cancer patients have a survival advantage over blacks News-medical.net Wong-Ho Chow, Ph.D.
- 10/28/2012 Obesity-one of the risk factors for chronic myelogenous leukemia FoodConsumer.com Sara Strom, Ph.D.
- 10/26/2012 Expose and exercise: Save the date for these fun useful events Chron.com Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/22/2012 Vitamins modestly lower cancer risk in men, researchers find VancouverSun.com Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/19/2012 Study identifies new risk factors for bladder cancer Psychiatric Times Meng Chen, Ph.D.
- 10/18/2012 Depression, DNA linked to higher death risk in bladder cancer patients Medicinenet.com Meng Chen, Ph.D.
- 10/18/2012 Depression, shortened telomeres increase mortality in bladder cancer patients Science Codex Meng Chen, Ph.D
- 1018/2012 Can this bra detect cancer? Shape.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/18/2012 Can this bra detect cancer? Style.time.com Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/17/2012 Study: Multivitamins may lower cancer risk in men Associated Press Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/17/2012 Multivitamins may prevent cancer in men CNN Health Ernest Hawk, M.D., M.P.H.
- 10/14/2012 What to expect during your first mammogram Conditions Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/10/2012 HealthTalk with Therese Bevers: Best tips for breast health Everyday Health Therese Bevers, M.D.
- 10/6/2012 6 Answers about mammograms and breast cancer ABC News Therese Bevers, M.D.
Mentored Junior Faculty Fellowship
Applications are being accepted for the Duncan Family Institute Mentored Junior Faculty Fellowship in Cancer Prevention Research.
Anna Wilkinson, Ph.D.
- "Susceptibility Predicts Smoking Risk among Mexican-American Youth"
- "Movies Promote Smoking Among Mexican-American Adolescents"
Patricia Miranda, Ph.D.