Department of Nursing
Established in 2008, the Department of Nursing is the academic arm of MD Anderson’s Division of Nursing. The department was established to advance nursing and interdisciplinary research, resulting in improved patient-care outcomes through the implementation of evidence-based practice. The department appoints doctorally prepared clinical nurses to faculty positions to promote, develop and implement programs of nursing research, evidenced-based practice and quality improvement. It is led by Dr. Barbara Summers, department chair, vice-president and chief nursing officer for MD Anderson as well as head of the Division of Nursing. Read a message from the chair.
To promote excellence in nursing practice, research and education, and to collaborate with colleagues across multiple disciplines in pursuit of the mission and goals of the institution.
- Develop and engage nurses in clinical research, evidence-based practice and quality improvement.
- Maximize nursing research, evidence-based practice and quality improvement efforts directed at improving patient care quality from treatment through survivorship, including end of life.
- Advance nursing and interdisciplinary research.
- Attract and retain nurse scientists.
- Support the development of externally funded research.
To promote, develop and implement programs of nursing research, evidence-based practice and quality improvement that lead to improvement in nursing care outcomes.
- Learn more about MD Anderson oncology nursing careers
- Search for open positions
- Summer Professional Student Nurse Externship
- Year-Round Professional Student Nurse Externship
- Graduate Nurse Residency Program
- Post Graduate Fellowship in Oncology Nursing
Contact Our Nurse Recruitment Office
- 713-792-7362 or 1-800-258-8632
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org