Video 4: Culturally Competent Care
Recommended Reading and Resources:
- Pocket Guide of Culturally Competent Communication (pdf) - Free download of ways cultural competence can help you plan patient care.
- Cancer Disparities by Race/Ethnicity and Socioeconomic Status http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.3322/canjclin.54.2.78/pdf
- Joint Commission - Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient-and Family-Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/aroadmapforhospitalsfinalversion727.pdf
- The National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care (The National CLAS Standards) https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/Content/clas.asp
- Cultural Beliefs and Values in Cancer Patients. Ann Oncol. 2012 Apr;23 Suppl 3:66-9. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mds091. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22628419)
- Office of Cancer and Complementary and Alternative Medicine (http://cam.cancer.gov/index.html)
- African Americans' views on research and the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. Freimutha VS, Crouse Quinn S, Thomasc SB, et al. (March 2001). Social Science and Medicine. Volume 52, Issue 5
- My Mother’s Not To Be Told. A new patient's son demands that his mother not be told she has cancer. http://www.mdanderson.org/education-and-research/resources-for-professionals/professional-educational-resources/i-care/complete-library-of-communication-videos/managing-difficult-communications-mother-not-to-be-told.html
- For more information on Communication Skills, please visit the Interpersonal Communication And Relationship Enhancement (I*CARE) Web site: http://www.mdanderson.org/education-and-research/resources-for-professionals/professional-educational-resources/i-care/index.html
Applying for CME Credit
View the video, complete the sheet below and send in.
Mail or fax the "CME Registration, Evaluation and Post-test Answer Sheet":
Department of CME/Conference Management, Unit 1381
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
P.O. Box 301439
Houston, TX 77230-1439
Or scan and e-mail to: SECantu@mdanderson.org.