Hurricanes: Have a Plan
Hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Be aware that MD Anderson will not house employees who are not serving on the Hurricane Ride-Out Team or any employee’s family members or pets during a storm.
Consider the following questions when making your personal preparedness plan.
Riding Out a Storm at Home
- Will the supplies in your hurricane kit last 3-5 days without restocking?
- Where will you go if forced to evacuate quickly?
- Are you familiar with area Evacuation Zones (pdf) and Hurricane Evacuation Contraflow Routes?
- Do you keep your gas tank full during hurricane season?
- Do you have extra cash or traveler’s checks on hand?
- Do you have a neighbor or acquaintance who may need assistance evacuating?
- Are your family and friends taken care of if you have to ride out the storm at work?
- Do you have a personal call-down tree to communicate with family and friends if you get separated during a storm? Have you double checked and updated your list of contacts recently?
- Do you know how your child’s school will respond to an emergency? Have you made backup plans for children in case you cannot get home in an emergency?
- Have you established gathering points and shared contact information with your family?
- Have you told family and friends to “turn around, don’t drown” if they come upon floodwaters?
- Are your pets taken care of if you have to ride out the storm at work?
- Do you know which motels and hotels in your area allow pets? (Most shelters cannot allow pets.)
- Are your pet’s identification tags current and securely fastened to a collar?
- Are your pet’s vaccinations up-to-date? Do you have record of recent vaccinations?
- How will you prepare your home? Do you have adequate supplies and tools?
- Do you know how to turn off your home’s water, electricity and natural gas if necessary?
- Have you thinned trees of diseased and damaged limbs to reduce flying debris?
- Are you familiar with portable generator safety?
Call the RING Line
Don't forget to call the RING line at
713-792-RING (7464) for employee alert information.